Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: problems with the Y axis

1. Default problems with the Y axis

i'm in the process of doing some signs. the shortest carving was 40 inches long and the longest is 67 inches long. i got the first two signs done wihtout a problem, but during the craving of the third and final sign which was the longest of the 3 the carving jumped about a 1/2 inch to 3/4 half way through the sign. i thought it might be a belt issue but the belt and teeth on the gears were ok. i then checked the y truck motor and gears all of which were in good working order. i took off the back cover of the y truck motor to expose the sensor and there was some dust in there. so i cleaned it out put it all back together thinking i had hopefully solve my problem. started the carving again and about 45 min to an hour in it did it again but this time after it jumped it made what looks like about 2 passes and stoped with error 238 y axis stall coming up. just for the heck of it i cleaned the machine and ran it again on the same board. it stopped in the same spot. i am out of ideas of what this could be but it is starting to get expensive since the wood i'm using is cedar.

thanks for any help
    todd

the first thing that I would do is turn off the machine and make sure that it moves freely without no hang ups.

Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

If the "same spot" is a place where the carving went deeper, the problem could be as simple as a dull bit.

5. Default

Everything moves freely and I just put a new bit in

Could you post a picture of the carving where it "jumped".

I had a similar problem a while back. I thought the truck was moving freely when I pushed it by hand, but it turned out I had a stuck bearing. I believe that I actually had to loosen the two movable bearings away from the rails so that they could be spun freely. Two bearings were fine, one had some resistance, and one was nearly stuck. I ordered replacements, but tried cleaning and lubing them in the meantime, which worked. I never did install the replacements.

8. Default

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	66075If you look close you will see that it jumps in the middle of the I and then again at the beginning of the N and at the end.

These are places where extra y force was needed. Places where the bit had to plunge. The system gets tested at these places and sometimes stops with a y axis stall. The fact that yours kept going makes me think the y belt may have slipped.

10. Default

That's what I thought to but couldn't find any thing wrong. Tension on the belt seemed good and the teeth on all the gears were there. Do u have any other ideas

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast