Thread: Question about a bit

Default Question about a bit

Howdy all,

I have been reading through all the forums for the past few days learning an amazing amount of great info. Thank you all for the outstanding help and support offered here!!!

I have read many posts dealing with bits and buying non-cw bits. The other day I bought a bit out at home depot because just eye balling it looked like it would work.

It is a Ryobi 1/2" V-Groove Carbide Router Bit (carbide tipped)..it has a 1/4" "shank". What I am wondering is will it work?? The bit package doesn't say if it is a 90 or 60 degree bit (though it looks like 60 to me).

So do you think it is ok to use? Would you suggest another type (brand, type, store, etc..) instead?

I really don't want to screw something up before I have had a chance to truly play with the CW.

Doug

I've used several different bits. As long as they're the same size as the CW bits, no problem.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

as long as it looks similar to the cw bits. Do follow the intructions about mouting the bits in the adapter,other than that the machine will measure it.
    That's probably a 90 deg. bit from Home Depot.
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Default Nice to know

Thanks guys!

I think I'll head out to sears and get some more of the holders and try out the bit!

Doug,
    That bit will work fine. I bought and have been using that same bit for about a month now and have had no problems. By the way it is a 90 degree bit.

Les

ahh that is great to hear! TY!

maybe one day I'll actually be able to carve something LOL!