Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorely Disappointed In Carvewright/CompuCarve Machine

Default Sorely Disappointed In Carvewright/CompuCarve Machine

I've been reading this forum for weeks and weeks. Even with all of the issues, problems, phone support black holes, errors and other general wackiness, I went ahead and puchased the machine anyway.

And buying it was an adventure, too.

So I get this machine set up, lovingly place the manual somewhere where I know I'll never read it, try to watch some videos (which I still can't see), plug in the USB cable, fire up the software on the Mac, get the software update, build a quick project (the lion rampant), throw in a piece of scrap pine, slap in the card, lock in the wood, turn the power on, click through the menus, load bits, change bits, and let her rip.

...and nothing.

By nothing, I mean there weren't any errors, issues problems, or wackiness. The project finished up, the head parked, and it was done.

Cursing my luck, I did it again, with another pattern.

Again, not a single problem.

So I took a nasty image, imported it, uploaded it and slapped the card back into the machine.

The damned thing worked.

So I guess I don't get to join the fraternity; my machine seems to be working as promised, doing what it was designed to do, and making my vacuum fill with sawdust.

I'm used to disappointment; my new Jeep Wrangler doesn't leak, have alignment issues, thin paint or computer problems like all of the new 07 Wrangler owners seem to be posting on the internet.

Dammit!

Your pal,
    Meat.

Now we're cookin'. Get some software for your Mac and you'll have it all.
    (QT Pro)
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Hahahaha... Good post, Meat!!
    Free Tutorials, Patterns & Projects at www.ALLCW.com

I just got out of a hot shower to warm up, after spending 3 hours in my freezing cold garage (by my standards) using my machine. All I can say is I am very impressed with this machine. I'm a qualified Electrical Engineer (18 years in automation, including Robots, CNC and PLC’s) having only had the machine for little over a week this is my opinion

1 - Why hasn't somebody come up with this earlier?
    2 - Yes! It has bugs to be worked out, so has most $150,000+ machines I have worked with.
    3 – This is not plug and play like computers, to fully understand the machine, to its best ability’s, you need to know the basics of, wood working, computer’s, 3D graphics. Combine these 3 and this machine has limitation of only your imagination.

My only gripe is the machine came with only one carving bit and cutting bit, I broke my cutting bit, (my fault, I got 4 projects done before the flex shaft jump out of the spindle motor, because I did not connect it correctly) and now because of overwhelming demand I’m not sure when they may arrive, but I have patience, my wife with the Honey Too Do list, increasing, has not.

A side note I understand feed speeds and a program being designed for only bits bought from Carvewright, but I will admit to trying to use some alternative bits for cutting, while I wait for my order to be sent. I got one project in popular cut, and then broke 2 bits in Purple Heart trying to cut an arc. The machine is fine but I am not going to try and cheat the machine again. I’ll not be cutting anymore pieces until my order arrives.

Disclaimer:- this post is not direct any individual but just my opinion.

Default I'm in the same boat

I just got my machine on Wednesday and it has been flawless. Have had a couple of the "Clear Board Sensor" errors but easily fixed. So far I think it is a great machine. I will be getting some additional bits to do other types of carving( i.e. round nose, vee bits and ogees). I see some good ideas coming out of the forum, keep up the input guys.
    Custom Woodworker for 25+ years
    CNC Programer/Operator (Woodworking) 10+ years
    Biesse, Weeke and Northwood CNC's

meat, for the right price I'll come over and induce a few failures in your machien if it will make you feel better
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Darn it... if yall don't return your machines to Sears right now, my supply of open box machines with easily fixed problems will dry up!!!!!!!

Please stop reading, use reckless abondon, and break the darn thing!!!!

This awful state of affairs needs to come to an end right now. Just think of the long term problems this will cause.

• Bard will have no call list
      He will answer the phone when we call
      His days will end after 8 hours
      We will have nothing to talk about except carving wood

ikes, what will become of the world???
    Bill (Number Eight)

www.onlyonecross.com

Let Your Life Speak

The Bard Guest

damn, one slipped through the cracks...

I'll get you next time Gadget! NEXT TIME!

Picked up my machine yesterday and it too is working right out of the box.

I had expected some small problem might crop up. But 5 projects later, all is well.
    Ken Rugaber
    South Milwaukee, WI (winter)
    Munising, MI (summer)
    Using designer 1.164
    My Website
    http://www.ruggybear.com/

Need to catalog your MPC and PTN files? I recommend FilePick
    http://www.rsbriggs.com/fp/index.html

The Bard Guest

well, give me some time man... I can't be everywhere at once!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast