Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 2.0 worth the price?

Oh I agree the first chuck wasn't all that great. I have one in a box attached to the "A" model machine. I can relate to it well as years ago I restored a Model A Ford from the ground up and it is amazing how even 40 MPH was a stress on the old babbet bearings and the rear end had to have the old 120 weight oil along with leaded gas to keep it from knocking. I no longer drive a ford and certainly not a 1929 model. The new High tech is a new adventure for me and I never, ever want to go back. In fact if you take the speedometer cable out of a 1954 or later ford with the mechanical speedometer cable you will find the same cable used in the new and old CW. We used graphite lube and they use lithium grease. It is so wonderful to be here with theses little problems! Thank You for bringing this up.
    Woodpecker

I think we are getting a little off topic here and we don't put lithium grease on the flex shaft. (if that's what you were saying).
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

OK, so I’m thinking I might want to upgrade project designer to 2.0 so I read all the previous comments. It sounds like they’re getting the bugs worked out but I still have concerns about how it will work with the RC. When I bought my CW I put a RC on it before I did my first carve because I couldn’t use it with the QC and LHR didn’t have anything else available. I have about 70% use of my left arm/hand and about 30% use of my right so using the QC wasn’t going to be an option. I have worked out a way to use my CW with my RC but it still can take me 20 minutes to change a bit when my arms are giving me problems so I don’t need the hassle of a new program making me install every bit I need to use for a carve before the carve even begins. I know that there is a 30 day free trial for 2.0 but that won’t allow me to upload and try a carve. I’m probably going to give the 30 day free trial a try to see if I like it but I want to know my RC will work as it did before I put out $200.

If you can wait I will try the latest 2.005 version to see if it will work well with the RC. I last tried the v2 in Jan or Feb, may have upgraded it to 2.005 but may have already tried it in the first place. I will give it a test tomorrow. I feel LHR burned me with this $200 upgrade that did not work and am hoping the latest version will work.
    Greg Luckett
    Great Lakes Wood Arts Co.
    Saint Joseph, MI

As far as I understand, the bit finding routines of 2.005 are the same as they were for 1.187. The problem was with 2.004 and that has past.

I know that it slows down before it hits the bit plate with 2.005, so no z-stall, but I'm not sure if the "one bit" trick works again....

Does it work with the long and the short bits in the RC?
    Greg Luckett
    Great Lakes Wood Arts Co.
    Saint Joseph, MI

Someone using a rock will have to confirm, but I think so.

The one bit trick does works again. I do not have a Rock but I use one ER chuck which is long like the Rock and I have a bit plate which is higher. The deep bits with the Rock are a different story. There is not enough room for them to fit in the 1/2" Rock and be above the bit plate. One would have to move the position of the press on adapters. For the 1/4" Rock, one would have to remove the press on adapters. It is risky, however, to trying holding these bits by the bare 1/4" shank. They tend vibrate and "walk out" even in the tightest grips. I am waiting for someone with a 1/4" Rock to report on this.

chcorte; I don't know anything about the RC. First let's hope that using the CW will help you bring back your dexterities. Changing bits as I understand it is necessary depending on the cut. Perhaps you could stick to patterns with limited or no bit changes.
    Woodpecker

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast