Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My board sensor question (yes, another board sensor question)

NorthWest PA, Just a few miles South of Erie

Default My board sensor question (yes, another board sensor question)

Here's the data om ,y machine:
    s/n - B X.505.411
    Firmware revision: 1.187.10870
    secondary Rev. 3
    Firmware build 0417:090305

I haven't used the machine since early last summer (2012). Cleaned it up and started to go through the prelims.
    Error message: clear board sensor.
    Checked and cleaned carefully. No change.
    Checked the sensor under Options. Best reading 73.

Is the sensor kaput?

Don
    You can't have EVERYTHING - where would you PUT it?

I made a post on Board Sensors last night too.

Since you joined in 2008 you might have a older "A" unit.

The Board Sensors circuit board was not glued to the black holder in the early years. This let the vibration from a worn out QC with BB Marks in the bit holders cause vibration that snapped off the LED's. See Pictures.... Plus it let dust get inside the lens...

The standard test is to crank down the board with a sheet of white paper on it. A 156 is perfect. A 76 would be a dirty lens or a broken LED.

The Signal passes through the FSC Cable so it can also be broken.... Gently moving the cable while doing the paper test can show the numbers change for a bad cable. Know if you have a 18 or 14 pin FSC Cable.... Plugging a new 14 pin cable into a 18 pin socket will short out your computer a $300.00 plus fix. They sell a A907 Kit to replace the old 18 pin cable. A 14 pin cable and 2 circuit boards.

The wires to the board sensor can pinch too...

Let us know what you find.

Remove the board sensor and CUT down the back removing the back flap to get easy access to the window and see if the LED's are broken. Use Tape to seal the back side of the sensor.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC08510_WEB.jpg   DSC08500_WEB.jpg   DSC06680_WEB.jpg   BS3.jpg  

BS2.jpg   BS1.jpg   DSC09541_WEB.jpg   DSC09540_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

OK, I got the sensor out, and I can see both LEDs through the window (lens).
    When you say CUT, what exactly am I cutting? The plastic part that covers the back? Or the glue line around it?
    I think I have a B machine because that's what my serial no. is.
    I doubt the cable is bad because I can see the numbers change as I increase the distance to the paper.
    Maybe I would be just as well off to buy a new sensor instead of monkeying with this one?
    don

I have two board sensors (from old B machines) which are down to 70 -80 as well. They are not dusty and I do not think they are broken. Could it be that the signal strength simply deceases in time? A five year life span on the infrared emitter? Anybody else have old "weak" sensors?

Well, I have a job waiting for this so I just ordered a new sensor.

Here's me, hoping that fixes it!

don

Sounds like a plan.... I just saw you had a "B" machine listed in your first post... sorry...

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I have two board sensors (from old B machines) which are down to 70 -80 as well. They are not dusty and I do not think they are broken. Could it be that the signal strength simply deceases in time? A five year life span on the infrared emitter? Anybody else have old "weak" sensors?
    Just to answer my own question. Look at these pictures. Both of the sensors I was referring to are missing their C6 surface mount capacitors. It appears that the plug shears them off if one is not careful. Apparently I was not careful. I think this might explain why the sensors were operating at half power. Maybe only one IR emitter was working.

Something to watch out for. If you or someone else has had the sensor out and the output numbers are in the 60 - 80 range, you may have the same damage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sensor 1.JPG   Sensor 2.JPG  
    Last edited by bergerud; 09-03-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Just to answer my own question. Look at these pictures. Both of the sensors I was referring to are missing their C6 surface mount capacitors. It appears that the plug shears them off if one is not careful. Apparently I was not careful. I think this might explain why the sensors were operating at half power. Maybe only one IR emitter was working.

Something to watch out for. If you or someone else has had the sensor out and the output numbers are in the 60 - 80 range, you may have the same damage.
    That is some GOOD STUFF !!!!! I have a bunch of boards....

Thanks,

AL

I just had another look at my sensor. C6 seems to be intact.
    New sensor on the way from Texas.

Don

The board sensor arrived in only two days (Yay) and installed with only the expected dificulty. The board sensor test returned a 150.
    Then I had a "close cover" error, and finally got that fixed.
    Now it stops during board measuring, makes a strange raspy sound and stops.
    I checked head pressure and it's around 70 lbs.
    Now, after checking that, I had a look at the front of the machine and found the front (right side) traction belt torn up.
    Huhhhhn.
    I think I let it sit too long without using it.
    Calling LHR, but I think they're closed today.

db
    Last edited by Don Butler; 09-07-2013 at 11:02 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast