Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crack in z truck

Default Crack in z truck

So I recently had a series of Z stall errors and took my machine apart. I first noticed it was sticking and took the motor our and it is spinning free. I next noticed I had an e clip off the bottom pulley and fixed that. Still had issues. I lubed everything up and then noticed that there is a crack near the top wheel. I have posted a picture. I assume this is the issue. Am I correct in this thought? Also is there a trick to getting the screws out for the wheels. I have tried and they all just want to turn and strip out.

THanks,
    ShaneClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2156b.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	3.43 MB 
ID:	63805

Here is the method I use:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?20413-250-Maintenance-Requirements&p=176044#post176044

That crack in the truck must be from either over tightening or rolling over "stuff". You may need a new truck. (A quick weld could fix it if you know a welder.)

When I tighten the truck rollers onto the rails, I just tighten them so I can barely turn (slip) them with my fingers.

Looks like you need a new Z truck assembly. As for the bearings on the Z go to the carvewright web site and in the maintenance section find the PDF on replacing the Z truck. Paragraph 9 explains that the bearing screws are permanently glued and explains how to handle this.

OOPS! bergerud is just too fast for me...
    George

Per lead engineer:

"It should be replaced and he needs to drill out the screws with a 3/16" bit."
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

How much is a new "bare" truck? Is there a part number for it or do you have to buy the whole assembly as it seems according to the parts list? (There is no point in taking the bearings off at all if you have to replace the whole assembly.)

I'm have to order a whole new assembly, but I need to loosen them up enough to take it off that is my only problem. I don't have a skinny wrench so I will have to order a new assembly and use the one that comes with it.

At least you will have a wrench. It is an important CW tool. You may have been able to back off the roller and have saved the truck if you had had one.

the z truck,, to bad you just get the z truck with the bearing for the spindle only Yourself Upgrade ***A907 Required***Our price: $159.99

Last edited by henry1; 07-29-2013 at 08:38 PM.
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Mine just cracked too... straight across the front of the truck starting just below the sensor and on the opposite side...

Personally... I think's it from the feed rates on the bits... using a 3/16 inch bit, taking 1/8 of an inch swipe each pass shouldn't be overheating the bit and I was hearing a strain and vibration in flex shaft and cut motor.

I think I'm done... it's time to get a real machine instead of a toy.
    So I can have some control over what it doing.
    Going to fix it and sell it.

This is getting to be a $200 every time I turn around deal...

Quote Originally Posted by rbrown View Post
    Mine just cracked too... straight across the front of the truck starting just below the sensor and on the opposite side...

Personally... I think's it from the feed rates on the bits... using a 3/16 inch bit, taking 1/8 of an inch swipe each pass shouldn't be overheating the bit and I was hearing a strain and vibration in flex shaft and cut motor.

I think I'm done... it's time to get a real machine instead of a toy.
    So I can have some control over what it doing.
    Going to fix it and sell it.

This is getting to be a $200 every time I turn around deal...
    I understand your frustration.

Just a question before you go... I want to understand this better.... Please don't be offended by my question... I too agree that a lack of feed rate is a disadvantage. I cheat by telling I use a 1/4 inch bit but vector cut with a 1/16th. It would be a big selling point to be able to select the feed rate in a choice of selections or even a menu slider control. But that is a different topic.

So my question is... What type of projects have you been cutting.... Plastic? Litho? Oak? My belief is that doing litho's and plastic is just too hard on the machine.

I am in no way blaming the user.... I just want to understand...

Thanks,

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 07-31-2013 at 01:17 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast