Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC vs Mac

Default PC vs Mac

Hi all... Was wondering if anybody could tell me the advantages/disadvantages of running the design software on a PC vs a Mac. Friend of mine has an old G5 Mac running OS10.4.11 he doesn't need anymore and has offered it to me. I am currently using a PC so my next question would be *since we can run the software on two machines can they be of different pedigrees?*

Thanks
    Roger

Nobody runs designer on a Mac?

I use a Mac, can't say there is any advantage/disadvantage since it is all I know. All I can say is it works fine on a Mac. The only advice I have is if you are using a wireless mouse you may want to consider going to a wired one, at least for me it was extremely had to control. I kept getting a magnified view every time I moved the mouse.

Dale

I maintained 450 PC's 145 Laptops, 2 VAX's and a server when I retired from the military (medically). I now only run Mac. As does my family. So simple, no virus scanners bogging down things, no update downloads that do not apply to your configuration (but you get them anyway) and total warranty. Very robust and heat tolerable. I could go on.

But you are speaking of a pre intel chipped Mac. That is before I bought into Mac. Not sure how that would run on Carvewright.

5. Default

There are several Mac users on the forum. I'm not sure but I think there were some issues with designer on OS 10 something something. A call to LHR on Monday should give you all the info you need.

I have been running designer on an iMac since 2008 and on PC. Let's see the PC had to be rebooted, reconfigured, reformatted etc etc, MULTIPLE times.
    Now let's see about the iMac, Hmmmmmm never had an issue with ANYTHING......
    You decide..........
    Custom Built Quilt Hangers and Quilt Racks.

There is NO difference between the PC and MAC versions.

I installed the software on a Windows machine to see if the mouse misbehaves on the Windows version and was very surprised to see that the software is darn near identicle.

The only "bad" thing about the MAC version is that it doesn't get along very well with my Magic Mouse. The problem is so irritating that I keep a Mighty mouse nearby to use whenever I use the Carvewright software. God I hope this is fixed in Version 2 of the software.

Kenny
    Last edited by gapdev; 06-30-2013 at 02:51 PM.

There is a fix for os10.

Windows installation / registry issues fixed in 2.0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by gapdev View Post

The only "bad" thing about the MAC version is that it doesn't get along very well with my Magic Mouse. The problem is so irritating that I keep a Mighty mouse nearby to use whenever I use the Carvewright software. God I hope this is fixed in Version 2 of the software.

Kenny
    Good advice on the mouse, as I do the same, Magic mouse WAY too touchy with Designer, just a slight touch and you zoom either Way Out or Way In.

I don't use my machine as much as I would like to, so each time I use Designer I am always learning something. I did have the program just quit once or twice with my G5 but haven't had any issues with 1.186 with my MacPro.

Thanks for all the responses. So here's what happened. The G5 would not run Designer for whatever reason, so....... Went to the Apple store and bought a new iMac. So far I am loving this machine! Designer installed and running flawlessly! Life is good! So now my buddy that tried to pawn off the G5 on me found out about my purchase. He has a video production company and has now railroaded me into doing rough edit work for him using Final Cut Pro X. Hope he understands carving comes first!

Roger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast