Thread: Tiger Spirit - figured zebrawood and walnut whisky box

Default Tiger Spirit - figured zebrawood and walnut whisky box

I was asked by my squadron to make a going away gift for our outgoing Chief, who is a longtime mentor and friend of mine for almost 20 years. As I know he likes single malts (as do I) I mentioned that a bottle of decent scotch might make a nice gift and I offered to re-label and make a box for it.

Here is what I came up with and made this afternoon... the box is very simple glued and pinned butt joints and the lid rides in grooves (pencil box style)

The lid itself is a piece from an amazing board of zebrawood that I got some time ago-it has a beautiful stripe of figuring running down the middle and when finished it has a wonderful iridescent chatoyance. This pic captures it better than the others.

I carved the tiger and lettering on my carvewright and sprayed it with black Marsh ink. To sand off the ink, I used my new sander and sandpaper. It is a Mirka Ceros and Abranet sandpaper... HOLY COW it does an amazing job at sanding off the ink without clogging AT ALL. The porous nature of the Abranet in conjunction with the sander and good dust collection made the overspray ink just "disappear" like it never existed... I'm really impressed (though at the price, the sander had high expectations from me)

The topcoat finish is sanding sealer followed by 4 coats of lacquer.

The bottle itself is an 18-year Jura (ind. bottler) and I just printed and then spray glued on the new labels

Thanks for looking,

V/r
    Lawrence

[/URL]

I don't know which gift will be appreciated more.... the scotch or the beautiful box. That box will probably house more than one bottle of scotch in the future.

Very nice work Lawrence.

As usual, beautiful work! The wood is a perfect choice!
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

Lawrence
    Where do u find time
    cant wait to c how many new and fresh projects u will make after retirement
    denny
    ps My dad told me to get all projects done before I retire cause after you wont find time