Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: sharing/ found a lil secret for eps files..

Lets not forget that moulding designs, hand carvings, and all those other wonderfully designed things that are perfect for using the scanning probe on to duplicate are also copyrighted. Seems that the probe is sold as a tool whose purpose is to violate copyrights, I'd be just as concerned with that as I would be with an image on the forum. I mean after all, if you designed it you wouldn't need the probe to copy it would you?
    BoardSilly
    "Destroying Cuba 1 Cigar At A Time"

Quote Originally Posted by boardsilly
    Lets not forget that molding designs, hand carvings, and all those other wonderfully designed things that are perfect for using the scanning probe on to duplicate are also copyrighted. Seems that the probe is sold as a tool whose purpose is to violate copyrights, I'd be just as concerned with that as I would be with an image on the forum. I mean after all, if you designed it you wouldn't need the probe to copy it would you?
    Interesting enough the Television industry tried to make the same claim against VCRs. There are many uses for a scanning in an existing item, to duplicate some broken trim from an old piece, to digitize some of your own hand carvings. And, let's not forget that something must be explicitly copyrighted, bot every thing is.

That being said, offering to publicly share collections of clip art which MAY be copyrighted is not a good thing and neither is getting your shorts in a wad about being questioned about it.

Folks, let's be civil, if you have a question about something along these lines please contact the OP and/or a moderator before a public inquisition. Perhaps we can spare some hurt feelings that way.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

The point of my post was to simply show that this issue can be taken as far out as you wish. Personally I could care less what someone does or does not do with an image. From a third party view, the ones who have to worry about this entire "is it or isn't it a copyright violation" are those who are using their CW to make and sell items, be it at a flea market or to shop customers. The commercial users (who incidentally are not who the machine is designed for), not the home user, are the only ones who really need to be concerned.

But as for me, I'll just avoid this whole issue and take the safe road of not posting any more ptn's of my converted images. After watching the Recording Industry fiasco for years now with lawsuits, I'll take the stance of better safe then sorry. I'd hate to have someone get upset and start an issue for me. I'll still participate all that I can here, sans ptn's.

For the new users who are 'artistically challanged' John over at Vector Art has terrific images for sale and they'll even do custom requests. Can't go wrong that way.

For more information on copyrights and what they are and are not:

http://www.whatiscopyright.org/

and

http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/index.php/Copyright
    Last edited by BoardSilly; 02-25-2007 at 06:38 PM.
    BoardSilly

I believe my intent was as I indicated with the word "wholesale" offering (free or for sale) clipart from other sources that one receives under license. Has anyone heard of the copyright cases of such for the music folks? What has been done up to now are offerings of PTN files (which someone has done) or images that one would suppose (?) were of personal ownership that someone wishes to share. But, as an example, I've had CorelDraw since version 1.02 and that has always offered a plethora of clipart. Would it not be a problem for the CarveWright people if, to make myself popular with the folks here to offer any and all of these clipart works here? That's what I was indicating. I no longer work for Adobe, but do know, for instance that they would stop this forum in a NY minute for such to take place with their work. And that puts LHR in the boot for allowing it. Don't take this to such an extreme folks. It's not an all or nothing thing, but it certainly does mean "common" sense should be used by us all.

Bob Hill
    Tampa Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
    And, let's not forget that something must be explicitly copyrighted, bot every thing is.

Not quite on target...
    According to the Cornell Law School and the US Copyright Act:

"Under current law, works are covered whether or not a copyright notice is attached and whether or not the work is registered."
    BoardSilly

I heard from a graphic artist that if you edit another work (significantly) it can become your own.
    the probe will be great for making digital copies of our existing pieces and also master models can be made of anything that will withstand the probing process, add an antique coin to a ceramic knob , scan and bingo you have pattern for your wood knobs.
    Mike G
    Custom wood working, etc, www.gmanind.com

Buzzin Guest

Default U own original (without restrictions) It's yours to copy.

I believe that if you are the owner of the original piece of art, then you also own the copy right, unless it was retained by one of the prior owners or the maker at the time of sale. If it was retained then all of the following sales of that art work would also have to disclose the prior retention of that copyright to the new buyer. That's why mass produced items have the copyright printed on them - that is your notice. So as the full owner of the original you would have full rights to copy, distribute free or even to mass produce copies of it for profit. I think the forum is great and once I get my probe I'll be using it.
    Buzzin

Where are these eps files and how can I view them?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234