Thread: Off the topic of CW....

Default Off the topic of CW....

I want to take a crack at making some log furniture, I have a bed that needs made for my guest bedroom! I was wondering if anyone has any experience making log furniture, and might have some insight into using the tenon bits. Seems like a fairly easy process, honestly finding the wood sounds like the most fun part of the project!

Kevin

I have seen it done with the bits and it does look like fun.... The Big Pencil Sharpener Bits.... Found this video a while back with a Router Version.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzYFzKWm41M
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Kevin I have the jig Al mentioned, works great. That, some forstner bits, some logs or branches and imagination your set to go.

Greg
    Last edited by gsdsj; 03-16-2013 at 04:51 PM.

Greg, if you dont mind me asking, which bit did you buy? I am just wanting to take a shot at it before deciding wether or not to invest a ton of money, but I am not sure if the cheap bits are worth it? think i should go with the pro grade bits? or just start cheap?

Kevin the jig I bought from Rockler came with the bit. It's the same setup that Al posted the video of. Greg

Can't find it on Rocklers, but here's a link at Baileys.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdet...m=16501&catID=

I have a set from Lee Valley, they work well.

Different brands have different profiles. My Lee Valleys have a bit of a rounded shoulder. Others are more cone shaped. Some even have countersink drills so you can hide more of the shoulder cut.

If you can assemble with the moisture content of your tenon lower than your mortised piece, shrinkage will really lock them together. But that's tough to do.

When I assembled beds and railings a big pile of ratchet straps and a rubber mallet were the main tools.

Justin Pierce, aka spalted
    *Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck