Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyclone for the Dust Cap

Default Cyclone for the Dust Cap

I thought I would try to make a cyclone for the Dust Cap. I get tired of having to shake out the filter in my micro vac which powers the Dust Cap. As an experiment, I carved a spiral ramp which fits into the end of a 1 liter pop bottle. Stupid how well it works! The bottle, however, is a little too tapered and I found that if no dust was moving through, some dust would stay and just spin around. I added a spiral wire (plastic covered coat hanger) and now it swirls clear. Check out the youtube video. I was vacuuming up dust (with big chunks) out of a bucket at a rate much higher than would come from the Dust Cap. If you want to play with this, I have included the ramp mpc. You will have to drill a hole for the intake. Use a drill press, a Forstner or similar bit, and a vise to hold it angled so the hole is parallel to the ramp. I used 3/4 which leaves little wood. The ramp is supposed to be a press fit in the pop bottle. You may have to tweak (or sand) the circle diameter. (I used a 3/16 bit for the circle cuts. You could change to 1/8 if you do not have a 3/16. You will have finish the cut out by hand as it does not cut all the way through.)

(Note that is a Canada Dry bottle. I may try some other bottles. One with swirls maybe.)

I am happy, no dust maintenance until that big bottle fills up! (The vacuum turns on and of automatically with the cut motor.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFoXC7b7SJc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Setup.JPG   Cyclone.JPG   ramp.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Now THAT's a cool setup-- well done!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your technique without. The dust cap is very much on my to-do list

Lawrence

wow that looks like a good way to keep things clean.

I RAN ACROSS A DESIGN FOR A SEPERATOR WITH CYCLONIC ACTION FOR A DUST COLLECTER FOR A 30 GALLON TRASH CAN. THE GUY DESIGNED IT FOR USE WITH HIS SHOP VAC BUT SOMEONE MODIFIED IT FOR USE WITH A DUST COLLECTER. I BUILT IT USING A 20 GALLON CARDBOARD BARREL. HIS ORIGINAL DESIGN USED A PLYWOOD TOP MADE TO FIT THE TRASH CAN BUT SOMEONE MADE ONE USING THE TRASH CAN LID. I’M HAPPY WITH HOW MINE IS PERFORMING. THE FIRST WEB SITE LINK IS TO THE ORIGINAL DESIGN. THE SECOND LINK IS TO THE MODIFIED DESIGN.

http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

http://www.zenreich.com/ZenWeb/shop/dustcollector.htm

I was waiting to post but you can go here and see the cyclone wor,k also I have one works like a charm
    http://www.oneida-air.com/shoppingcart.asp
    Henry
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Great... U just LUV to tinker !! I like all UR ideas so far, especially the the ER spindles.. Keep up the good work... LOL ....
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Funny - I just picked up the same vac from Walmart this afternoon, not realizing it is the one that you have been using. I decided that I need a cyclone separator before I even turned it on, and came looking here, then saw the vac.

Are you doing anything to ground your system?

No, I have not done anything to ground my system. I was going to replace the power wire with a new wire which has the third ground prong. I am not sure it is even needed. I do not think that much of a charge builds up. It is not like the 4 inch hoses with the 800 cfm airflow. Mind you, I live in a humid rain forest by the sea. Someone in the dry south might have more of a problem with static than I do.

I just bought that small vacuum as well. I have not used it much yet. The idea is to turn it into all filter and let the cyclone deal with the dust. If you want to carve my cyclone top, I suggest you experiment first to get the large radius right for your bottle before you carve it. A press fit is nice.
    Last edited by bergerud; 10-27-2011 at 05:25 PM.

Great minds think alike! I just bought this funnel with a 4-1/2" opening, and was stretching your mpc to fit, and thought I'd better cut a test piece first before I do all that carving!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6304288.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	209.2 KB 
ID:	48447

I currently have my machine grounded to my dust collector, which is grounded through the third prong on it. It gets very dry indoors in winter here, even with a humidifier on the HVAC system.

I think your funnel may be too the tapered. Look at the geometry of the Dust Deputy. The dust has to fall under gravity as it swirls around. If the taper is too much, the dust will keep spinning around and not fall. My bottle is too tapered and that is why I added the spiral wire. With the funnel, you will not be able to see what is going on. You may also need the wire. (A cool feature of the pop bottle is that it gets a static charge and so the really fine dust sticks to it until the larger dust comes along and sweeps it away.)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast