Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: old Sears Compucarve

Default old Sears Compucarve

My carver is coming up on 6 yrs old. Had almost a yr and decided to bite the bullet and buy the Sears 5 yr warranty. Seemed like a lot of money($500+) back then for it but there was a lot of issues with the machine using the original chuck. Never bought an extended warranty on anything but I wasn't sure I could do all the troubleshooting and the repairs. This turned out to be a good decision for me, had several issues which included not only replacing the chuck but the cpu. Best I can fiqure in parts alone they replaced over $800.00 let alone labor and shipping.
    Now my warranty is running out, contacted Sears and they will extend me another 5 yrs for $500. Since I changed the chuck to a rock several years ago I have only had minimal problems. Sent it back for a 'checkup' last month just for grins as that is allowed yearly as part of the warranty. Said it was ok and they did a clean up & lube(they rated its value $200). Having a hard time deciding yea or nay on buying the extension. Not using it as much as I would like but that may change as I 'tire' of working even part-time(doing 24 hrs a wk now). But then again since updating to the rock the carver seems to run without all the old errors. On the other side shipping alone from the east coast to Texas in the event of a problem would be a load. Guess that's why they call it insurance. Guess I just wanted to vent, any opinions are welcome.

Thanks,
    Rick H.

Seems like cheap insurance. 5 years of anual checkups would double your cost. Just my opion. I haven't had many troubles with mine either but it would be nice to know the machine would be fixed no matter what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by want2b View Post
    My carver is coming up on 6 yrs old. Had almost a yr and decided to bite the bullet and buy the Sears 5 yr warranty. Seemed like a lot of money($500+) back then for it but there was a lot of issues with the machine using the original chuck. Never bought an extended warranty on anything but I wasn't sure I could do all the troubleshooting and the repairs. This turned out to be a good decision for me, had several issues which included not only replacing the chuck but the cpu. Best I can fiqure in parts alone they replaced over $800.00 let alone labor and shipping.
    Now my warranty is running out, contacted Sears and they will extend me another 5 yrs for $500. Since I changed the chuck to a rock several years ago I have only had minimal problems. Sent it back for a 'checkup' last month just for grins as that is allowed yearly as part of the warranty. Said it was ok and they did a clean up & lube(they rated its value $200). Having a hard time deciding yea or nay on buying the extension. Not using it as much as I would like but that may change as I 'tire' of working even part-time(doing 24 hrs a wk now). But then again since updating to the rock the carver seems to run without all the old errors. On the other side shipping alone from the east coast to Texas in the event of a problem would be a load. Guess that's why they call it insurance. Guess I just wanted to vent, any opinions are welcome.

Thanks,
    Rick H.
    I believe someone on here, returned their's for a refund! And got his full purchase price... Like $2700?! Bought a brand new C with all the upgrades... Yeah it might be worth extending!
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

I've heard that Sears was not servicing the CompuCarve any more and if a customer had any issues with the machine they were buying them out on the warranty. They got their full purchase price back and got to keep the machine.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

yup... I heard the same thing too.
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

i have an old compucarve, and i have the master protection agreement with them for another year, it would be nice to have a new machine, but out of all 4 machines i have the compucarve is the most reliable one of the bunch, i would hate to send it back to them when she is running good.
    steve
    Start U Member

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterman View Post
    i have an old compucarve, and i have the master protection agreement with them for another year, it would be nice to have a new machine, but out of all 4 machines i have the compucarve is the most reliable one of the bunch, i would hate to send it back to them when she is running good.
    steve
    Mine also, It just seems to hum right along. Had some early issues like most. I did not do the protection plan at the time, pockets were not that deep for the machine price back in 2007...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Appreciate the feedback, I am leaning towards buying the extension. I wasn't aware of any buy back and it wasn't offerred when I took it in for a 'checkup'. Haven't run it since getting it back so I can only go by the note on the return tag that the machine checked out ok and that it was cleaned & lubed. Did check and I can tell areas are cleaner than when I sent it.

Thx, Rick H

I have one of the first Sears Compucarve and the warranty was expiring next month in fact. they sent me a notice that I could extend the warranty for either 1, 2, or 3 yrs. I've had good luock with the warranty getting reapair work done so I opted for another year on the warranty. No mention of a buy back however.

Was not aware of the "checkup" offer but after reading theagreement, I see where they will perform a preventive maintenance routine once a year. Where did they send your machine to for the checkup?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast