Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st fall craft show this year

Terry

Really nice job on the boxes. You have some great ideas
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Henry1, what you posted is not the corian clocks, That one just the insert was quite a bit more and the price
    was quite a bit more. it took a while to find the perfect person for that clock, but I did sell it at 4 times the price
    of the corian clocks. Again the right person for that price.

Perry B.
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by chebytrk View Post
    Hey Terry,
    I recognize the patterns, but not the boxes. Is that box pattern something that you came up with? They look real nice.
    Hi Jerry. I felt that most boxes were too time consuming with miters, dados, etc, so I tried to come up with the most simple to build but good looking box I could and this was it. They carve and build fast, seem to sell very well and you can make a good profit on them. They will be on our site as downloadable projects in a day or two with the patterns you see in the pictures.

DickB I'm not sure I'm the one to be talking about full time employment. I am retired, I do this a a hobby. Sometime during the year it turns into a full time job. I do 3 or 4 craft shows in the spring and 3 or 4 more in the fall. I have come up with a price od $.30 a min carving time or $18.00 and hr. weather you consider that an hourly rate I don't know. It will cover my maintence time for the machine, then add the cost of the material and cost of paints, sand paper,etc.
    At some point you can price yourself out of the picture. If I can keep myself in expense money that is good enought for me.

If I get a custom project, I have $50.00 up front fee for design, For the price of the design fee I will give them 1 carving out of foam for looks and adjustments. If they are happy we go from there. I then add the wood or whatever material at double the cost of the material, plus the carving time. I also consider any patterns I may have to buy. I then double that total cost , minus the design fee ,and that my way of getting a price.
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    One of the reasons that I ask is a forum member is considering this as full-time employment. Would you be willing to offer your opinion on that? For the items that you make and sell, can you estimate what your hourly wage would be if you paid yourself?
    I'm no expert but what I can tell you is this;
    We have income from craft fairs and shows that range anywhere from $50 to almost $1000 for a weekend. Just depends on what your selling and where. Sale items need to be approriate for the venue.

I use $20 per hour as my time/labor estimate. What it really works out to in the end I can't say for sure. However, I make a profit on materials and machine time as well. My bookkeeper (Kathy) tells me retail sales of carved items has increased by 300 percent over last year, with our "unique gifts of wood" website and participating in craft fairs and shows. As was stated earlier, most of the sales come in the form of custom orders after a craft fair. Wood Wisdom, as a whole is up 56 percent over last year.

As far as making a living? That would depend on alot of things. It wouldn't work as a sole source of income for me but it may for someone else.
    Last edited by TerryT; 11-06-2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: got my nulmbers reversed.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ladjr View Post
    Terry

Really nice job on the boxes. You have some great ideas
    Thanks Leo. I hope your machine issues are resolved.

Thanks, but machine still not fixed I'm waiting for parts.
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Perry - do you use the $18 per hour for your finishing/sanding/assembly work as well?
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Here's another question......

How to price lithos? A sign is one thing, a litho is "magical". Plus, you've got added material costs, a light source, etc.

I'm thinking about charging per square inch. Say you've got a litho with the Corian measuring 5x7, and another measuring 8x10. If you charged, say, $2 per square inch, that would make the smaller one $70, and the larger one $160.

Couple images as examples below....

What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unlit.jpg   Bella.jpg   M&D.jpg   Mom2.jpg  

Mom.jpg  
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12