Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grounding

+1 to Floyd's answer. I have an extensive dust collection system in my shop all using pvc and I have both wires inside and outside in some instances and have never had a problem in the 15 or so year since I put it together....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Quote Originally Posted by mcQ View Post
    First I want to point out that my ERWIN PRODUCTS DUST DEVIL does address the static problem, every unit sold has a foil grounding tape installed which is continuous from the hose connection to where the unit mounts to a metal portion of the machine.

Erwin
    Erwin, my CW isn't here yet, but one of your hoods is already here, awaiting it. Just for the sake of clarity, is the above portion of your quote to say that I would need to give no further attention to - or have concerns on static electricity issues? Can I forego the involvement of having to run any wires? Or would I still need to. Forgive my naivety, but what I know about electricity could be placed on the tip of a needle.
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by NLAlston View Post
    Erwin, my CW isn't here yet, but one of your hoods is already here, awaiting it. Just for the sake of clarity, is the above portion of your quote to say that I would need to give no further attention to - or have concerns on static electricity issues? Can I forego the involvement of having to run any wires? Or would I still need to. Forgive my naivety, but what I know about electricity could be placed on the tip of a needle.
    I am not answering for Erwin BUT, run a static ground system if you are using any type of dust collections system on your machine. The movement of saw dust will in fact generate static electricity through what ever it is flowing.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    I am not answering for Erwin BUT, run a static ground system if you are using any type of dust collections system on your machine. The movement of saw dust will in fact generate static electricity through what ever it is flowing.
    Good. And thanks. But, just one question to ask: would it suffice to simply run a wire from the metallic piece on the dust hood, to the ground screw on an electrical outlet?
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

That should work just fine and what I suggest to others when asking about the grounding system for my dc-insert if they do not already have a static ground system in their shop. I also suggest they test the system by dropping saw dust on the hoses with the system running to see if the dust is attracted to the hose.

I also use a aluminum dryer vent hose, the more rigid type and not the loose flimsy type, attached to a gate valve off of the dust collector up the cw just for the added feeling of security of less static build up in metal versus the plastic hose.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Grounding a dust collection system is always a good idea. For Dust Devil users a metal foil tape has been run through the plastic dust hood that is bonded to the metal frame of the CarveWright machine. The other end is wrapped over the hose connection where a ground wire should contact. To be effective the ground wire should be a bare stranded copper wire which runs continuously through
    the hose and duct work and bonded to the dust collector at the other end which is grounded to your shops electical system. Grounding kits are availible from a number of suppliers such as Grizzly,
    and Woodcraft.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Grounding-Kit/W1053
    DUST DEVIL
    Designed and Manufactured by a Professional Product Design Engineer for:
    O.E.M. like Form, Fit & Function

SIMPLY THE FINEST DUST COLLECTION SYSTEM AVAILABLE for CarveWright / Compucarve!
    The DUST DEVIL is the only system that provides suction the full width of the machine for unsurpassed dust collection!

http://www.erwinproducts.com/erwin_products_004.htm

Here is what I have done. Not saying it's right or best, but it works. I took bare copper wire, some small braided type I found at home depot in a roll, and I wrapped it around the hose all the way down and grounded it to the dust collector. Also, since my scoop is made of wood, I ran a piece up on the top and fixed it so the plastic cover would close on it to discharge it as well. Again not saying it's the best way, but it works for me.
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

To be effective the ground wire must be bare and run inside the hose and duct work. Below is the instruction sheet for one of the grounding kits from Rockler.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rockler Grounding kit instructions.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	719.1 KB 
ID:	66247
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rockler Grounding kit instructions.jpg  
    DUST DEVIL
    Designed and Manufactured by a Professional Product Design Engineer for:
    O.E.M. like Form, Fit & Function

SIMPLY THE FINEST DUST COLLECTION SYSTEM AVAILABLE for CarveWright / Compucarve!
    The DUST DEVIL is the only system that provides suction the full width of the machine for unsurpassed dust collection!

http://www.erwinproducts.com/erwin_products_004.htm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123