Thread: Designer question

Default Designer question

So, I had an idea...I took a 2x4 as my board design, then double it, so it was, effectively, 4x4. (in real world, essentially, gluing two 2x4s together). I designed a pattern on a rounded dome, then copied all and pasted on the reverse side. Is there anyway to place it on the Side side? What I'm trying to do is put the same pattern on all 4 sides of my 4x4 using the software.

Yep, I'm aware that so long as I leave edges, I can just run the pattern on both sides, then rotate 45 degrees. I'm looking to make sure it isn't going to cut through first.

Thanks in advance for the help

I would just set up the carve as a single, not a double sided carve, and carve it 4 times rotating your board each time.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Default 4-sided carve

Quote Originally Posted by Geophyrd View Post
    So, I had an idea...I took a 2x4 as my board design, then double it, so it was, effectively, X. (in real world, essentially, gluing two 2x4s together). I designed a pattern on a rounded dome, then copied all and pasted on the reverse side. Is there anyway to place it on the Side side? What I'm trying to do is put the same pattern on all 4 sides of my X using the software.

Yep, I'm aware that so long as I leave edges, I can just run the pattern on both sides, then rotate 45 degrees. I'm looking to make sure it isn't going to cut through first.

Thanks in advance for the help
    Basically, you may only carve .800 deep, so you should always have material left on your 4 by 4.
    You can only have a carve on the Front & Back within Designer, however, we can work around that theory somewhat.

The following is presuming your stock, and design, are longer than 12" (plus your added 7+ inches for the end-stock).
    Using test stock, I would suggest that you make 2 rails of 3/4" x 4" the same length as above. Mount them on opposite sides and do your first carve (Carving just one side). Once that completes, re-mount the rails to the other two sides. this turns your stock just 90 degrees and you can carve the adjacent side. This test will give you a sense of how things may be accomplished, and what problems you might need to overcome. Once perfected, you may mount your good stock and carve all 4 sides, by using that 2-sided MPC twice (or a single sided MPC four times).

If your stock is 12" or less, you might consider a ROTARY Jig. This may eliminate the need for your dome in many cases.
    This link has a section on 3rd party products, one of which is Ed Baker's Rotary Jig.
    http://forum.carvewright.com/content.php
    He has engineered this jig to take a piece of 2" dowel, 14 inches long. It can/may contain a carving of up to 12 inches. It may, also, be correctly modified to accept dowel up to 4" in diameter.
    This link will take you to some of the threads on Rotary carves.
    http://forum.carvewright.com/forumdi...y-Jig-Patterns

I'm sure you will find other threads as well, and probably hear from other members regarding other rotary jig concepts.

Good luck with your desired project. Remember that the machine has a, stock, weight limit to consider and you may need extra support rollers for long stock.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29