Thread: Source for set screws...

Default Source for set screws...

I dropped one of my bit adapters on the workbench and it dented the end of the set screw enough that I can't get an allen into it. Does anyone know of a good source for just the set screws (and possibly stronger ones) ?

McMaster Carr Maybe ??

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but if you don't have them, check with one of the CW guys for what the size is and then check with someone like http://www.smallparts.com/products/d...20Screws&strg= if you can't find a machine screw jobber or shop near you. Sometimes you can find an old fashioned hardware store (the kind that still has even old sewing machine etc. parts) and take the bent one in to match. OR, have you considered cutting a slot in the end which would fit a small screw driver?

Bob

Most good hardware stores carry them. I live in a small town of 1000 and our HW store has quite a stock. Quick repair, file the dent off, the socket should be deep enough for removal & replacement.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Almost all Ace Hardware stores have small parts like set screws. From your listed location of Reynoldsburg Oh there looks to be an Ace about 10 miles away in Columbus. Here is the info:
    Schreiner Ace Hardware
    1665 Parsons Ave
    Columbus, OH 43207
    (614) 444-8963
    or
    Grandview Ace Hardware
    1729 Northwest Blvd
    Columbus, OH 43212
    (614) 488-4151

You might call them first to save a trip.

if you are in a serious pinch and can't get to the store, match the threads of the set screw up with a small screw lying around the house. you might get lucky.
    if you don't expect too much from me, you won't be let down.

Default Set Screws

I found them at ACE. The specific size is #8-32 at 3/8" long. They will need the coarse threads. Hope this helps.
    The Toymaker

One can not move forward until they leave the past behind

thanks i needed that also.....the allen wrench is weak!,,, had to put in vise to remove//locktight to tight..lol....

can recesed (barrel type be used..or is it part of the locking mec. in the head?

Quote Originally Posted by GIZMO1D1
    thanks i needed that also.....the allen wrench is weak!,,, had to put in vise to remove//locktight to tight..lol....

can recesed (barrel type be used..or is it part of the locking mec. in the head?
    I don't think the set screws have a good depth on them. Seems like the allen wrench doesn't get in there very far.

No, the screw head is part of the quick release mechinsim.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!