Thread: How to make a pattern?

Default How to make a pattern?

I am looking to figure out how to take a picture and converting it into a pattern instructions.
    I know you can copy an image open Carvewright software and right click and paste to make a pattern that way.
    But usually that doesn't come out as nice as some of the patterns I seen some of you make.
    Is there a tuturial that I am over looking on how to do this or do I need to and take a software course at the local community college?

It is nice that some of you are willing to help us that don't know how to make a nice pattern.
    But do any of you have a crude step by step tutorial we who would like to figure out how to do it ourself could look at?

Reason I am asking I have been ask to do a custom carve and would like to make a nice pattern to carve it with.

Thanks
    John
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jaustin View Post
    I am looking to figure out how to take a picture and converting it into a pattern instructions.
    I know you can copy an image open Carvewright software and right click and paste to make a pattern that way.
    But usually that doesn't come out as nice as some of the patterns I seen some of you make.
    Is there a tuturial that I am over looking on how to do this or do I need to and take a software course at the local community college?

It is nice that some of you are willing to help us that don't know how to make a nice pattern.
    But do any of you have a crude step by step tutorial we who would like to figure out how to do it ourself could look at?

Reason I am asking I have been ask to do a custom carve and would like to make a nice pattern to carve it with.

Thanks
    John
    Hi John,

Check out the following forum section for some info on the various techniques and software some of us use for creating patterns...

http://forum.carvewright.com/forumdi...Party-Software
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

3. Default

To make it very short answer, for best results you need a 3D model, not a picture of a subject. A carving pattern used by the CW contains height information as well as X-Y coordinates. A picture or photograph does not contain any height information, only color and brightness. When imported into designer, a photograph's color and brightness information is translated into height information for the machine. that's why the results are often disappointing.
    May you be well, may you find happiness! : - )
    "Exaggerated self-importance is deemed an individual fault, but a racial virtue." From Kelly Millar

John

Pratyeka is right - there is no depth information in pixels. A 3d model will yeild the best results and in the long run quickest. 3d Modelling can be challenging to learn. Check out blender..its a free program with a lot of support. As far as course...I looked into that when I got started modelling..the issue is 3d modelling software will do quite a few things, such as rendering photo's of your model and animations...I am assuming your just looking to modeling patterns which you wouldnt have any need for rendering and animation. Most courses in CC or Universities go into all 3 areas. There is a TON of free info online from articles to video's of how to's. Me personally I learn from a structured course better and with videos so I signed up for Digital Tutors, an online training library. There are quite a few them out there..just google 3d training.

Here is a step by step tutorial on how to model a pattern in moi...I have a couple other ones on there also..hope it helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBncX...layer_embedded
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

Default Make a Pattern from a PDF

I'm trying to make a pattern from a PDF.

Leo

6. Default

I agreed with Pratyeka and John. However, the process of converting an object into a 3d model require a reference picture/drawing and I think that is what jaustin is referring to. You can use a picture for reference only, a picture itself will never make a good pattern just by clicking a mouse or a few buttons.
    To be honest, it is a difficult learning curve. Most CNC people using artcam which is a pricy software but it a bit easier than 3d modeling sine you don't have to deal with all the polygons.
    Like John said just google for 3d modeling tutorials, that is how I started out about 12 years ago.

Good luck!
    H. T.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Friends Don't Let Friends Use bad patterns!
    For high quality patterns please email me or check out my website at: http://carvenow.com . Thanks!
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

7. Default

I think that some might like to play with Scultris for photos (It's Free). Here is a photo of me that I had simply clicked into being in Sculptris:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PhotoSculpt.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	856.2 KB 
ID:	51639

You would have make your photo square to be able to be used as a brush. Then in Sculptris simply create a new flat plane and exit symetry mode. Then up the polygon level by hitting "Subdivide All" a couple times. Then click on brush and new brush and find your photo. Click the photo brush to make it active, then manuever your plane to a straight on possission by hitting the z after you've gotten close. Then make the plane small enough for the brush to fit in it while the brush is maximum size. From there set your brush strength and click the mouse.

You could then play around with the inflate tool to make the nose stick out etc.

After making the image you could then export it as a height map image for use in Designer by going to "Options" & "Save Depth". It saves as a tiff but can then me opened up and changed to a png in another program.

It's fun to play with and may even be useful with good photos.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Malmstrom; 03-05-2012 at 01:42 PM.