Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Jig Prototype II

I just got a chance to follow up on the "Rotary Jig Prototype II, beautiful Job ! I hope soon, to get started and will contiue to monitor.

Capt Barry

I was thinking about the too thick right hand plate. Could you design the project with that area included as a non carved area? That way the truck would move further over and miss the plate.Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    I was thinking about the too thick right hand plate. Could you design the project with that area included as a non carved area? That way the truck would move further over and miss the plate.Clint
    The problem occurs during the initial measurement routine. The machine finds where the right edge of the dowel is and then (if the carve is to be more that 1/2" deep) bobs right beside the edge before bobbing for the sliding plate. There simply needs to be some more clearance for the bit to bob. A grove in the back of the right hand plate may even be good enough. I do not think it is too serious a problem, I just remember that it was a problem.

Default Rotary Jig Startup Routine

For those who would like to see how the Prototype II setup routine works, I have made a video. I thought I shoud do a simple carving just to remember how it works since there is a member making the jig and I want to be able to answer questions! I have not actually used the jig much. The exercise was really just to make it. Third try is the charm and someday, I will make prototype III. Also I have included the mpc for anyone who makes the jig as a first thing to carve. It is shallow carve on a 2 inch diameter dowel, 6 inches long. (Play around with invert to get different patterns.) (Note the dust missed by the dust cap in the second picture. Yuck.)

Edit: sorry the video is a little shaky, I needed three hands to video and operate the jig.

http://youtu.be/pM9y-4Cbzoo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0512.JPG   IMG_0517.JPG   IMG_0519.JPG   IMG_0520.JPG  

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bergerud; 07-03-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Has anyone else actually built this from the files posted here?

Russel is making one. He has been posting in Rotary Jigs Projects.

Yeah, I just saw that. Thanks for making this available. I'd like to try it sometime...

Dan,
    I haven't said much on this topic recently, since I am awaiting delivery of the bearings. I have installed the jig into the CV and learned what various operations are performed. However, I need clarification on several operating points, so I will be prepared when the jig is ready to roll. I need to know:
    1) During the initial measurements, when the CV asks "stay under rollers?", I assume the answer is no.
    2) Is the "jog to surface" option used?
    3) When measuring board length, what is considered the start of board?
    4) When the tape is placed on the dowel, I can understand that it will be construed as an edge, but why doesn't the tape width reduce the dowel circumference measurement, by seeing one edge as a start and the other as an end?
    5)On the youtube video, I was unable to see the selections made during the setup. Can you list the selections made and manual operations to get to the point of initiating the carving process? Sorry if I keep asking the same questions.

Hello,
    I watched your video and see that yours setups totally different than the original.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Russel is making one. He has been posting in Rotary Jigs Projects.
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

Quote Originally Posted by Russel View Post
    Dan,
    I haven't said much on this topic recently, since I am awaiting delivery of the bearings. I have installed the jig into the CV and learned what various operations are performed. However, I need clarification on several operating points, so I will be prepared when the jig is ready to roll. I need to know:
    1) During the initial measurements, when the CV asks "stay under rollers?", I assume the answer is no.
    2) Is the "jog to surface" option used?
    3) When measuring board length, what is considered the start of board?
    4) When the tape is placed on the dowel, I can understand that it will be construed as an edge, but why doesn't the tape width reduce the dowel circumference measurement, by seeing one edge as a start and the other as an end?
    5)On the youtube video, I was unable to see the selections made during the setup. Can you list the selections made and manual operations to get to the point of initiating the carving process? Sorry if I keep asking the same questions.

1. Stay under rollers - No (minimizes length measured. Related to 4 below)
    2. No (the touch automatically goes to the dowel )
    3. The black tape it the start of the board!
    4. The operation only measures one end. Place on Corner (or End if the width happens to agree) does not require finding the front end of the board. The dowel will roll just enough to determine that the project board will fit.
    5. I thought, if you looked closely you could see. Stay under rollers - No : Keep Orig. size - Yes : How to place on board - 3) place on end (or corner) : cut to size - No.

What is important and is not shown is the initial position of the rail. I marked my rail as to when the roller lifter drops. I position the rail so that as soon as it moves, the roller drops. The CW thinks the end of the board just left the back roller and then the tape rolls up to the sensor and the CW thinks it has detected the end of the board.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast