Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carvewright for sale

1. Default

I appreciate the honesty from all of you. Really I do. One thing Al has been saying is that I ran it for a year with the vibrations. We started our business early november 2011. Since I got it in March of 2008 i never ran it much, maybe putting 50- 60 hrs on it. Since november i have increase the odometer to 143 hrs. It is within these last 2 months that the vibrations started. Never had any trouble from it prior, except for an occasional flex shaft shaking when cutting cross grain with an endmill. It never seemed to do it when using the carving bit. I ran it with the cover off because to me it was in the way and I didn't have a dust collector on it so it made it easier to vacuum out while running. Yes it was not too safe, thats why safety glasses and hearing protection was worn. I ran the machine every chance i got to keep up with the demand for the business. I ran nothing but cut-paths with a 1/16" endmill, and in my opinion, when the machine comes up out of a path to move to the next one it stops and starts the motor, it is hard on the spindle bearing stopping and starting which I believe is why they went out the first time caused the vibration and is causing the new bearings to start to go bad. Like it has been said this machine was not made for commercial use. Other wise for hobby is it a good machine. But I can do the same thing and more with my new machine and faster so there is no need to keep this machine. Also by comparing the machine to a sony picture tube tv, and yes i understand you were only trying to make a point, is like comparing a cars value to a cell phone. The technology in electronics rapidly advances causing them (tv's & cell phones) to lose value very quick. As for the technology in a car or this machine does not progress as fast. But i will replace the safety switches before i sell it.

I am so glad to hear your business is growing so quickly. May I ask what you do? You stated, "the vibration just started" is that before or after replacing your chuck? The thing is all the CW perform the same, so the motor stops is part of normal operation. So if that was the cause I know there would be several more vibration threads! Not to mention the CW motor is a servo and not a stepper.

You mentioned you ran the machine without the cover to be able to vacuum while running. Lol I have to say you are so fortunate that you did not fry your all your electronics with static electricity! When Al reads this I know he will reiterate his prediction of the L2 in the Power Supply and the C1 Cap on the X Termination Board are damaged and may be only holding on by a hair thin copper strip!

The word "commercial" to LHR means the machine being used for business. Of course nobody does that here in the forum ! I have made in the past 5 years well over 1,000 or so signs with my CW's and many more including hand routing. Al has over 1,000 hours on his CW's making signs, fire tags, wine racks, quilt racks etc. Liquidguitar has made with his CW's many beautiful violins, guitars and others stringed instruments that are in great demand fetching a good price! Tom Watson sign business is flourishing ( I am very much jealous!) and all made with his CW's. The list goes on with several no most of the members in the forum! Again nope nobody uses their CW's commercially!

Don't get me wrong we all have had some issue with our machines. The thing is some less then others because they routinely properly clean and maintain their machines. They never take shortcuts and repair any issues right away and with the correct parts! I have been lazy and have neglected my one CW and now I have a stripped roller table gear! If I don't watch out I am going to be in the same spot with my other CW!

If you like to give some more info on when the vibration began before or after you installed the chuck made by your father in law? Was before or after bypassing the safety switches and running the machine and vacuuming while running? Have you checked the Z plate for movement. Have you checked both ends of the flex cable where it is inserted into the chuck and the motor for any damage?

I ask because you posted you plan on installing the safety switches. So maybe we as members can help you track down that vibration and check the other issue Al has concerns about. Find out if it is an easy fix you can take care of it and know the machine will continue to work. Or find out there is more to fix then it is worth? At least that way you can see where you stand.

Let us know I will help anyway I can.

Ike

I am glad to see you used your machine in a Vector 1/16th inch end mill mode. I think that is a very under utilized feature of the machine and one that has made my business a success as I can cut two sided sheet stock into tags. Only one sided tags were available before I perfected using Vector Cutting with my machine. Assigning the 1/4 inch bit but using the 1/16th End Mill to lock the feed rate into 1st gear. I too find cutting a sheet of 20 tags that the Cut Motor shuts off at the end of the Vector Cut then quickly starts again Stressing the Cut Motor.... As the Cut Motor was still coasting to a stop.... I have that request in on the Software Request Thread to increase the delay to shut off the Cut Motor slightly while doing a project like that.

I wish you luck selling your CW and just curious what model and table size did you get to replace it?

You have been a good Sport in all this..... Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123