Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carvewright for sale

I promise I'm not trying to pile on here... but the others are not trying to undercut you.

I would value it around $300ish too... and that only if I was within driving distance. You should probably do better on ebay or craigslist but be warned that if your EBAY customer is not happy you end up eating the shipping cost and possibly getting a broken machine back after the 2-way trip (don't ask me how I know this)

Sorry not to have better news- but if you sell it here on the site you are probably not going to get anywhere near your asking price.

Lawrence

Sorry Mr. Stevens, too bad there isn't any room for your CW in your business. I did the opposite of you, with my first CW I also bought a Shopbot 4896 48" by 96" CNC and then a K2 2514 25" by 14" table CNC. The CW software and free updates and the machine itself worked best for my sign shop. I never used the SB and sold it and still have the K2, never used! I wish I didn't sell the SB I bought another business......well that's another story best forgotten!

I bought 3 more sold one to Al and by the way thank you for input. Al is our go to guy and knows the CW from top to bottom! Anyway I hope you get want you want and understand why the machine loses it value so quickly. If you sell it on e-bay make sure you enclose the modifications you made and even though it does work sell it as is

Ike
    Last edited by Ike; 01-03-2012 at 09:21 PM.

3. Default

Well everyone thanks for your inputs but i though posting it on a site where people knew the machine in general and knew the value of them would recognize a decent machine and would be interested in it. From a LHR standpoint the mods of the machine especially the safeties may be frowned upon but with the machine being out of warranty anyways I don't see where they hurt the value. The people on this site know what they are getting "as is". The depreciation may be a representation of the issues that come along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrstevens26 View Post
    Well everyone thanks for your inputs but i though posting it on a site where people knew the machine in general and knew the value of them would recognize a decent machine and would be interested in it. From a LHR standpoint the mods of the machine especially the safeties may be frowned upon but with the machine being out of warranty anyways I don't see where they hurt the value. The people on this site know what they are getting "as is". The depreciation may be a representation of the issues that come along with it.
    To break it down the cost to repair your CW exceeds the value of the machine. From your mods you took the value away from your machine. At this time the $999.00 special does not help anybody trying to sell a used machine. I do know the machine and I was trying to help you and a possible new buyer.

Say you did sell your CW to new buyer for $500.00 plus $82.00 for shipping. You send it as is and it was working, it arrives to the buyer. They use the CW and soon they get an error. Not knowing anything about how to fix the unit they call LHR. Before any support a $25.00 fee is charged. I am sure the LHR tech will ask some question first before the charge. The buyer tells the tech, the CW is used, the safety switches have been bypassed and a non CW chuck was installed. (Keep in mind LHR staff reads the forum and they will already know the problems.) So they can suggest replacing the known problems then trouble shooting one part at a time at $12.00 per ship. Or the buyer may choose to send it in for repair. But first the tech will inform the buyer, by law they must repair any safety issues and replace any non authorized CW parts before the machine can be sent back.

So another $82.00 for shipping, 2 switches not sure of price $20.00- $30.00, the cover and cut motor switches ( you posted you ran the CW without the cover so the motor switch had to be bypassed) Then $160.00 for a new CT chuck and because of the vibration a new flex assembly $75.00. About $265.00 for parts then about 2 hours for labor. I not sure of the rate, but I think it is around $80.00 per hour. Add another $160.00 for labor. With shipping, parts, labor the total cost comes to approx. $507.00 add another $582.00 for the initial cost the buyer is into your CW for $1089.00 Just about the same cost for a brand new CW delivered with the $999.00 special with a 30 day warranty.

For the experience CW owner deduct the $160.00 labor and it comes to $929.00! So for the cost of labor a experience owner can have a new machine. These figure only covers the issues posted and known safety concerns. The motor was put in a sound proof container which also tell me no air flow so is the motor damaged? That $999.00 special will end someday, yet LHR still offers a refurbished CW for $1399.99 with a 6 month warranty. So good a working non modified used machine can sell for about $750.00 or so.

Because we are members who know how the machine works and know how to repair any problems. We have a good ideal of the worth of the machine and the condition from questions and the description of the seller. That is why we ask how many hours are on the cut motor? What is the model, A,B or C? What chuck doe the machine have? Has the belts been changed? What kind of maintenance was perform etc. The list goes on and on!

There are senior members who know more then other members and we trust and turn to them for help. So yes we recognize a decent machine and we know any used CW is sold as is.

With your CW the depreciation is not a representation of the issues that come with the machine. It is how you repaired them and ignored safety procedures and the modifications that could have affected other areas. The machine may work now, but may break if it programmed to perform an normal operation different from what you have used it for.

I am sorry, but even without the $999.00 special offer, your machine would still be only worth about $300.00, only because of the heavy duty belts. Otherwise I agree with Al the value would be $200.00.
    Last edited by Ike; 01-04-2012 at 02:11 AM.

Thanks Ike and the others for backing me up.... I mean no HARM in my statement of facts. This forum is here to Support and Educate the Users New and Old. The Go To Place to get answers and education.... Sometimes we just need to say.... "Sorry that 32 inch SONY Picture Tube TV that you paid $1600.00 Five Years ago is not worth $800.00 now.... More like $20.00...." I worked at the Sony Picture Tube Plant that is now a Dusty Parking Lot where the 3 buildings were... Sure we all like to hold on to that "Perceived Value".... Then we find the real value is much less...

And to add to Ike's Excellent Summery you must take into consideration that this flex vibration has been slowly destroying your machine for the year you ran it and you must add to Ike's List, the L2 in the Power Supply and the C1 Cap on the X Termination Board are damaged and may be only holding on by a hair thin copper strip and the vibration in shipping could snap in transit and with the Safety Switch Modifications.... In the first 30 seconds of new ownership the new user could have his fingers cut off.... Are you ready for that knock on the door... Not me.... It is like shipping a loaded gun through the mail....

I have in the past recommended to DONATE a used machine to a HIGH SCHOOL WOOD SHOP and take the Tax Deduction.... but in this case... NO that is not an option....

Good Luck,

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 01-04-2012 at 01:43 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Like Al I too started out trying to help mrstevens, but seemed to have offend him? I tried politely telling him e-bay was his best for selling his CW. I hope the $999.00 last for a while, well at least when I am able again to buy a new CW! Maybe it is just me I rather have a new CW verses a used! Unless that used machine is in perfect working order and has been properly used and cared for. Plus the used machine would need to come with some accessories like a bit set and a CT and belt upgrade. The other way I would buy a used machine if it was really cheap to be used as a part machine!

Mr Stevens this forum is a community that looks out for each and you being a member I/we were trying to look out for your best interest. This also includes all the other members and future members. So as senior members like Al, he does not want anybody to get the short end of the stick! You believe your machine is fine and we know from your modifications and running it with vibrations could lead to more problems then the machine is worth.

So back to the original advice you will get more money selling through e-bay or your local Graig's list or paper. Otherwise in the forum expect to sell your CW for about $200.00 or so. The other option just keep and use your CW for small projects?

Ike
    Last edited by Ike; 01-04-2012 at 05:29 PM.

One more whack and I'm sure he will be a goner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beating-a-dead-horse.gif 
Views:	20 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	50176

Quote Originally Posted by PCW View Post
    One more whack and I'm sure he will be a goner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beating-a-dead-horse.gif 
Views:	20 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	50176

Lol that is just it, no whacks were intended......at first! Okay stop beating the dead horse!

Hi Ike

Just trying to stir the pot a little. You know me.

I am thinking it has been stirred well! Good to see you posting! Hope all is well!

Rick

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast