Thread: Cyclone for the Dust Cap

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cyclone for the Dust Cap

I thought I would try to make a cyclone for the Dust Cap. I get tired of having to shake out the filter in my micro vac which powers the Dust Cap. As an experiment, I carved a spiral ramp which fits into the end of a 1 liter pop bottle. Stupid how well it works! The bottle, however, is a little too tapered and I found that if no dust was moving through, some dust would stay and just spin around. I added a spiral wire (plastic covered coat hanger) and now it swirls clear. Check out the youtube video. I was vacuuming up dust (with big chunks) out of a bucket at a rate much higher than would come from the Dust Cap. If you want to play with this, I have included the ramp mpc. You will have to drill a hole for the intake. Use a drill press, a Forstner or similar bit, and a vise to hold it angled so the hole is parallel to the ramp. I used 3/4 which leaves little wood. The ramp is supposed to be a press fit in the pop bottle. You may have to tweak (or sand) the circle diameter. (I used a 3/16 bit for the circle cuts. You could change to 1/8 if you do not have a 3/16. You will have finish the cut out by hand as it does not cut all the way through.)

(Note that is a Canada Dry bottle. I may try some other bottles. One with swirls maybe.)

I am happy, no dust maintenance until that big bottle fills up! (The vacuum turns on and of automatically with the cut motor.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFoXC7b7SJc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Setup.JPG   Cyclone.JPG   ramp.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files