Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rigging? Rope? Please help!

Default Rigging? Rope? Please help!

Ok, so with the hopes of my machines being fixed soon, I am working on a project for a friend. I was thinking a crib board. Does anyone have any ideas on what would be a good pattern or idea for a "rigger" He just graduated his four year apprentice with the ship yard as a rigger. His dad sent me a picture of rope spliced into its self making a loop at the end of a rope. He called it a lanyard, but it does not seem like it would be very nice looking. Any ideas would be appreciated. I have several cribbage board patterns, and am just looking for an idea that is related to rigging.

http://www.flypig.co.uk/?page=celtic

This program lets you make your own celtic knots-- with some messing around you can get a pretty good looking pattern- this was about 30 seconds of work and can obviously be made better
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails knot.bmp   knot.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

and one more... I'm really liking this faux 3d thing (2.5d)

Lawrence
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bowline.bmp   bowline.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

OOOH, that is very similar to the picture he sent me! That could help. Thanks.

Lawrence, I have no Idea how you are doing it,,but that rope looks Great. !

Thanks..

Ed
    My Website: www.edscustomcarved.com
    Patterns or projects made, and uploaded by me, are not to be sold on E-Bay, EVER !.
    Thank You....

I know huh? Amazing!

Damn.. now im jealous. I worked for weeks trying to find a good way to model rope in 3d... i never found anything that I thought was easy enough to make the process worthwhile. Of course I totally skipped the 2.5D stuff in favor of 3d solids log ago so maybe each tool has it own specialty.
    Doug Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    and one more... I'm really liking this faux 3d thing (2.5d)

Lawrence
    What software are you using for this?

a combination of artcam (30 day trial), coreldraw, and the pattern editor software. Google sketchup warehouse has lots of places to start and you can export stl with a plugin and then play with it. The eagle I did recently was a from "scratch" (from a picture) 3d generation using artcam. The rope took about 5 minutes to make from an STL, and I think I'll probably be buying an old copy of artcam or one of the cheaper versions soon (or aspire). The newest version is $8000 so I don't think I'll be buying that one. My buddy doesn't use his account very much (and he writes his annual fees off with his business) and has told me I can borrow it (his dongle, which you need to use artcam) whenever I'd like; I'll probably be carving him a sign or two in return, which I think is more than fair.

Lawrence

IB,
    Find out if they use regular nylon rope or wire on the docks. In logging they use wire rope, very stiff, looks a bit different, too. If you come to Wednesday's gathering I can show you some. Also, I have extra cribbage pegs if you need some. My crib board pattern is wrong. I probably made a dozen or so for people before I started learning to play and found out I have a few errors no on ever mentioned. Oh, for a logo? If it's union work, and I think most dock work is, that's what they are most proud of.
    G.P.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast