Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manzanita clocks

Default Manzanita clocks

My insurance agent has a KOA campground in California and brought back some manzanita burl/root and sliced it up with his chain saw then called me to see if I could make him some clocks for their store at the camp site.

I used a 3" fosrtner bit to bore out the pocket for the clock works. Long process doing this as it is a hard wood and it took very little time for the bit to heat up.

Pocket depths ranged form 3/4" to 3". For the big thick clock (almost 4" thick) that I saved for the last one to do, I did about 1/2" with the fosrtner bit and then changed over to a router with a straight bit. It took me about an hour this way vs what I figured would have been several hours the other way.

Finish coat is several coats of clear lacquer spray.

And NOPE none of the work was done on the CW..

More photos in my gallery http://forum.carvewright.com/album.php?albumid=201

RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Neat looking clocks and pretty neat looking wood.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

3. Default

Awesome work Floyd ... very nicely done.

Nice job Floyd cool wood!

I do really like how the wood looks. He was talking about what stain to use and after spraying a small spot with the lacquer conversation was done. He did go through 3 chain saw blades slicing it up. A few pieces did have some rocks embedded into them. The slabs were also not uniform in thickness. A deep throat ban saw would have been best to slice it up. He is very luck not to have lost a foot...

When he picked up the 7 I had done he brought 4 more small pieces and I still have the top slice off of the big slab to figure out a clock on. The back side still has a lot of the root showing, very uneven, so I'm considering just doing a small insert of the front side instead of figuring out how to bore out the back. It is also better that 4" thick.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Floyd nice work on the clocks. I have three logs of that wood about 3' in length and 8" dia. you just gave me an idea as to what to make with them. Thanks
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

7. Default

Those are awesome!
    I love manzanita, i've never seen a photo show the true beauty of that species...
    Nice work!
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.
    Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

FATAL ERROR! SYSTEM HALTED! - Press any key to do nothing...

Some people have a way with words, others not have way.
    CarveSpot Forum

Bonney Lake, Washington, United States, 113160055365328, Bonney Lake, Washington

Beautiful clocks Floyd!
    I have always loved that wood. Looks like the wood is the art in it's self.
    Tom Watson
    Two CW's and D.C.-Top Mount Insert @ Ringneckblues.com Get the dust out!!
    50" X 48" PDJ Pilot Pro CNC http://www.pdjinc.com

Check out my Facebook page for current carvings at http://www.facebook.com/signsinwood

Watsons Wooden Words http://www.signsinwood.com & Messages in Wood http://www.messagesinwood.com/

Awsome looking floyd love the wood
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

After recent problem with wood moisture, I wonder what the moisture content of manzinita would be. Thank you for sharing the great pictures. Beautiful work.
    G.P.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast