Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I do this?

1. Default Can I do this?

OK... So I got my CW a few years ago. I have been doing very basic stuff since I got it. I do not have a lot of time to learn the methods of the CW... However I am wanting to make a few new projects. The first being a unique picture frame. The frame will have an outer edge that consists of many curves and tight patterns, similar to th photo attached. My question is... will I be able to create something like this with the CW. As I mentioned I do not have a lot of time to use my CW so what I need is for the CW to DO IT ALL! Cut out the outer shape, cut out the inner square or shape (where the photo will show) and rout the edges with a decorative bit. Will the CW do all of this? Please help a beginner accomplish this!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	253749_220908371266342_131322933558220_833649_6971652_n.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	46437

Yep.. I dont see anything there that the CW would have any problem with.

Go ahead and start your project, and just post your questions and mpc when you get stuck.
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 08-07-2011 at 11:30 PM.
    Doug Fletcher

3. Default

will it do everything with one board and one design? how long would yo you estimate it would take to cut one? There is no carving involed. Just cutting out the outside shape, inside shape and routing the edges...

That's a loaded question. It really depends on how you design it. Looking at the pic your posted, it looks like there are what could be called two carve regions... the inner one for the picture (rectangle) and an outer one that follows the contour of the outside edge. You can do this will all vector carve that will speed up the carve time... but with probably take considerably more design time. Or by using raster carve regions, the design time is faster, but will greatly increase the carve time.

I know MT just posted a tricks and tips recently on pocketing techniques. That will help you greatly if you review them before your start.
    Doug Fletcher

5. Default

the inside rectangle would just be a cutting region not for routing. The way I invision it, the CW cuts the rectangle, then cuts the shape, then routs the outer edge. I'm hoping to use an 8 foot piece of MDF to cut out about 6 at a time... thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Alteredwoodworks View Post
    the inside rectangle would just be a cutting region not for routing. The way I invision it, the CW cuts the rectangle, then cuts the shape, then routs the outer edge. I'm hoping to use an 8 foot piece of MDF to cut out about 6 at a time... thoughts?
    I think you would be better off shortening the length of the board a bit. MDF inst exactly light, so you definitely will need several supports and you end up putting a lot of strain on the belt gears and motor having to move that much weight. Can you do it without shortening your board?? Probably, but in my experience with 1/2 mdf i like to keep the length to 4ft or shorter. You will also definitely need to use masking tape on the bottom edge for the tracking roller. MDF seems to be just to hard a slick to get consistent tracking if you dont use tape. And definately make sure you have a good dust collections system. MDF makes tons and tons of very fine dust (and hazardous). I use a 2 micron filter bag with mine.
    Doug Fletcher

Well it actually will route the edge before it cuts the shape. and that works the machine pretty hard. Machine wise you would be better off to route the edge with a router table after the project is cut out.

Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

8. Default

so you think it will do it all at once? Meaning... if I was making an 8x10 frame similar to the one in the picture, and I put a 12x12 board in the CW it would do it all? How long do think it would take to make one?

9. Default

I thought of doing that too jaroot... I'm just consrained by time. Nice to here from a fellow Utahn! even though I live in Nashville now. Born in Bountiful...

so you think it will do it all at once? Meaning... if I was making an 8x10 frame similar to the one in the picture, and I put a 12x12 board in the CW it would do it all? How long do think it would take to make one?
    Hmmm.. Your really stuck on the time arn't you. Based on "similar" things I've done in the past.. best guess is anywhere from 1-3 hours depending on design and quality settings. But don't forget your 7" rule... so if your frame was 8x10, you would really want a board at least 15x11 at a min. and yes.. you can do this all in one MPC file.
    Doug Fletcher

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast