Thread: C-141 Starlifter yoke mount

Default C-141 Starlifter yoke mount

One of the crustiest of the crusty of all the Aviators I have known called me the other day and asked me to make him a wall mount for a yoke off his old aircraft, the C-141 Starlifter.

This guy is one of the saltiest son of a you know whats you'll ever meet--he has more than twice as many flight hours as I do and is still, unlike me, going strong. He was honored in a recent article when he passed 10,000 hours in the Air (I've only known 2 other men that have done that)
    http://www.acc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123217479

Anyway, here is the mount I came up with-- he wanted is small and simple and without a name on it as he is going to have to find a place to put it on his wall (which is covered floor to ceiling in awards, lithos, flags, tail flashes, etc.) He was in the old 4th Airlift squadron when it flew C-141s and this was off of an old aircraft he flew in that he has since found in the boneyard here at Davis Monthan. (don't ask me how he got the yolk...old Senior NCOs just seem to find a way)

Anyway, I kept it simple-- Mahogany with a cherry finish. I fiddled around with the design for a while and finally ended up going the dingbat route versus the DXF route-- for some reason it just worked better. From design to finished took about 2-hours

Thanks for looking,
    Lawrence
    Last edited by lawrence; 08-07-2011 at 01:53 AM.

Real nice. Simple and to the point. Kind of like pilots. <grin>
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

3. Default

Hmmm. Must be like ol' Neil Udel. Fighter pilot. Flew so low and fast over lake pendorielle (sp)? He left a wake and sucked up a duck. Flew from minot ND to Fairchild AFB in 8 minutes. Afterburner all the way (or so they say). Stole a T-33 and a Colonels flight suit to take a friend (and RC models) to a radio controled aircraft competition in CA. WA air guard finally fired him I heard. Heheheheh, my kind of guy! Of course the above was just rumors I heard when I was an MP. Might be slightly exagerated.

and of course I meant yoke, not yolk
    LOL
    Lawrence

Lawrence, at DM it's not what you know but who you know and you can get just about anything you want..... nice job on the plaque.

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Very nice. Not too many starlifter guys still around. A bad-a** bird in its day.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

I'm a bit late but nice job. Who's steering the plane? Capt Barry

That's some great detail on the patch and the planes. I see lots of folks here making projects to honor our military and it gives ones spirit a lift each time.
    Cheers
    Bill Brooks
    Henrico , VA
    Printer, Zymurgist, Carvehead
    Machine One - Version B, Carvetight upgrade and a Ringneck Blues Dust collector www.ringneckblues.com
    Machine Two - 5th Anniversary Version C, Rubber Belts and a Ringneck Blues Blues Dust collector

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    and of course I meant yoke, not yolk
    LOL
    Lawrence
    All fixed!
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

10. Default

Awesome mount, yes!
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.
    Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

FATAL ERROR! SYSTEM HALTED! - Press any key to do nothing...

Some people have a way with words, others not have way.
    CarveSpot Forum