Thread: Grove cut problem

Default Grove cut problem

I've been cutting some grove and every time I make some multiple grove with max pass depth, it dis-align the x axis. I've read about stair step cutting problem and I check the pressure the belt and they turn okay and at this cut I've use stay under the roller.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reject.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Default

The picture shows obvious slipping on the x.. are you using masking tape for the roller wheel to track on and have you checked you head pressure? Those are most common causes of x slip..

Daniel Smith
    www.quarrydesignswoodworking.com

Default Tape avoids brass roller tracking errors

Quote Originally Posted by awe View Post
    I've been cutting some grove and every time I make some multiple grove with max pass depth, it dis-align the x axis. I've read about stair step cutting problem and I check the pressure the belt and they turn okay and at this cut I've use stay under the roller.
    Your design seems OK.
    I suspect the sled may need some tape on the bottom, on the Brass Roller side. That tape will need to be replaced after a project or two, just to make sure it has good contact with the brass.
    You may also need extra support rollers for your thick/heavy project, to keep it for lifting off the Brass Roller as if moves from back and forth.

Here are a few thoughts from an earlier post:
    TAPE:
    Tape is a help-mate. It is used to assist some sensors do their job. It can, also, be used to assist the sand paper belts in movement of "slick/hard" material.

1) Tape on the bottom of the board, between the Brass Roller and the wood allows the roller to get a better grip on hard or slightly imperfect stock.
    2) On slick/hard/shiny stock, it is sometime necessary to place several strips of tape the length of the board to assist the sandpaper belts.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

And make sure the rubber o-ring on the tracking roller isn't missing, or cracked, etc. They dry out (or just wear out), crack, and need to be replaced occasionally (at least mine does).
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Thank you for the tips I will try it and do you have any recommendation for what kind of tape to use?

Quote Originally Posted by awe View Post
    Thank you for the tips I will try it and do you have any recommendation for what kind of tape to use?
    Good old one inch masking tape!
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Yeah, just don't get too cheap on it. I found a "deal" on some 3/4" tape and thought that it would be perfect. Probably would be too except I can't get a piece bigger than about 4" to come off the roll without tearing.

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    Good old one inch masking tape!
    AskBud
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

Quote Originally Posted by jaroot View Post
    Yeah, just don't get too cheap on it. I found a "deal" on some 3/4" tape and thought that it would be perfect. Probably would be too except I can't get a piece bigger than about 4" to come off the roll without tearing.
    Jim,

Same here!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.