Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dust Collection Prototype

Default Dust Collection Prototype

Check out the first testing of my new dust collector. I have a $20 (that's new) mini shop vac sucking trough 6 feet of 1/2 inch hose (I have not cut it yet) and I was getting 99.9% of the dust. I saw the odd feather fly out. Mind you, this is only the first test.
    There are problems yet to solve, but, I have to say, I think this it the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccZbJjG2gkc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0161.JPG   IMG_0160.JPG   IMG_0159.JPG   IMG_0164.JPG  

Last edited by bergerud; 05-12-2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: add link to youtube

2. Default

That is very interesting and different. I am very intrigued! Would like to see more pics of where the hose goes through the machine and wondering about the additional pressure on the truck causing errors as it works its way back and forth.

I have not decided where the hose should go. There are a few choices. It puts very little force on the carriage. The problem is that damn bit plate. The aluminum bracket slides under the bit plate but the Plexiglas must be removed during bit measurement.

VERY cool idea-- talk about collecting the dust at the source

Lawrence

5. Default

Wonder if the hose could come out the top with the flex shaft?
    What is the plastic piece you are using?
    I've seen similar looking pieces on some medical equipment..

Bit plate... good question..

Daniel
    www.quarrydesignswoodworking.com

I am borderline idiot when it comes to dust collecting with this thing. I will definitely one day just pay someone to do it for me, but......... what about having the hose come out the front, maybe even a slight upward angle? Just saying.......
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

How would that small of a vac do with a 8-15 hour carve? Would it hold up for that continous usage? Other than that looks great!

My small $20 vac has run for hundreds of hours already. I would just leave the nozzle under the roller near where the chips fly while carving . I figured I would just buy another one when it died.
    I made the plastic piece (dust cap) of Plexiglas.
    The hose can come out the front but it needs half a loop first to give the carriage freedom to move. I cannot see going out with the flex shaft unless it can be permanently installed. Because of the bit plate problem, the dust cap and hose must be taken in and out of play.

That looks great. As far as the Shop vac, I don't see a shop vac holding up to 8-15 hr. carvings.
    later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

I do not know why you guys think a little vac cannot be left on for hours. Mine has run for hundreds of hours. I have run it with every carve for years! This is a minor detail anyway. The carvewright motor itself could be used to power the dust cap. Check out the youtude video. See any dust?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccZbJjG2gkc

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast