Thread: Importing Image to cut gears

1. Default Importing Image to cut gears

Can someone tell me how to import a line drawing? I have imported images with no problem; however I’m trying to cut a gear. I scanned the gear and was able to import that image into the software. The problem is viewing the image on a work peace. The image is there but very light. Also the edge form the paper appears to affecting the work peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Tlattrell View Post
    Can someone tell me how to import a line drawing? I have imported images with no problem; however I’m trying to cut a gear. I scanned the gear and was able to import that image into the software. The problem is viewing the image on a work peace. The image is there but very light. Also the edge form the paper appears to affecting the work peace.
    Hello,

Probably the best way is to convert the gear line drawing to DXF and import it via the CarveWright DXF Importer software. I use the DXF Importer a LOT for importing exact dimension line drawings I create in CorelDRAW.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I'm guessing that you imported the image to make a pattern. Invert and/or set the depth of the pattern to make it more visible.

4. Default

Thanks for the ideas Gents!
    Dick, I did try setting the depth yesterday which did not help I think because of the edge depth which is a result of the scanned image. I did however Invert as you suggested and that made the gear pattern vary visible. Did you trace the pattern using the connected line tool to get a cut path? How did you generate the pattern for the gear in your picture? That's what I'm trying to accomplish.

Michael, I'm going to download Coreldraw and give it a try. I am after exact dimension line drawings. Interested to see how Dick approached the problem.

Thanks,
    Ted

Ted, I used JLT's Radial Vector Generator JLT's Radial Vector Generator http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ctor-Generator...

6. Default

Dick, How do I get a copy of the Radial Vector Generator that works on windows7 ? Sorry I'm new to these forums.

First off, you're posting to the test forum, which is intended to be used to test how to post. Many people may not look here, so you may not get much feedback. You'd be better off posting under Techniques.

For the Radial Vector Generator, post your question under that thread, or send a private message to JLT and ask your question.

I've run it on XP and Vista - does it not run for you under Windows 7?

8. Default

As I said I'm new to this. I did see that it was a test forum but forgot about that when I got a response.
    Any way thanks to answering my questions. I did down load the program (ai2mpc) if that's it and it only blinks on the screen and disappears. I also tried it on an XP machine and it did the same thing.

As I said I'm new to this. I did see that it was a test forum but forgot about that when I got a response.
    Any way thanks to answering my questions. I did down load the program (ai2mpc) if that's it and it only blinks on the screen and disappears. I also tried it on an XP machine and it did the same thing.
    To make this program work try this PDF file. It should help, PM me if you need help. BJB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Owl 3 cw.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bjbethke; 04-21-2011 at 07:48 AM.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.