Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photos in Wood

Default Photos in Wood

Anyone have any decent projects where they have carved a photo into wood? Any tips for doing so?

I know they look so much better in Plastic, but I have a potential customer wanting to see it carved in wood and I just don't have any.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

2. Default carved wood from photo

I am lacking as a photographer but here is a clock done from a photo of Elvis Presley. No tips from me though I got the pattern from someone else. I am sure some senior members can chime in. It actually took three attempts for me to get this right. The first the image was inverted and did not come out looking good, the next was better but required more depth. This finished clock was my third attempt and I thought it came out good. I used a stain pen to stain the pine and them sprayed the clock with a Lacquer finish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clocks 004.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	824.6 KB 
ID:	43841
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clocks 003.JPG  
    Last edited by gregsolano; 04-20-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Just to be clear, you cannot simply import a photo and get results like Elvis. You stated that you "got the pattern from someone else" - that is key. It was a pattern, not a photo. When you import a photo, the lighter areas are carved deeper and the darker areas less (or vice versa). If you carve in a translucent plastic and shine a light through, you get a photo-like result, because the deeper- carved areas transmit more light and the taller areas less, just like the photo. To carve a good-looking image in wood from a photo, the image must be manipulated by someone skilled with other software to make a more realistic 3D (or 2.5D) carving.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    Just to be clear, you cannot simply import a photo and get results like Elvis. You stated that you "got the pattern from someone else" - that is key. It was a pattern, not a photo. When you import a photo, the lighter areas are carved deeper and the darker areas less (or vice versa). If you carve in a translucent plastic and shine a light through, you get a photo-like result, because the deeper- carved areas transmit more light and the taller areas less, just like the photo. To carve a good-looking image in wood from a photo, the image must be manipulated by someone skilled with other software to make a more realistic 3D (or 2.5D) carving.
    You are exactly right, but has anyone imported a photo and carved in wood with good (decent) results without taking into third party software and manipulating?

You know, carvings of photos in wood aren't that great - they turn out a tad grainy (pun intended).
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

6. Default

Just a thought... try carving at a VERY shallow depth (say, 1/16th inch) and then wipe (not brush) some stain over it. The deeper part would hold more stain and the higher parts would get wiped away. I haven't tried it but it might simulate the shades of grey in the image and give a more realistic result.
    Frederick Potter
    Editions by Frederick
    http://www.editionsbyfrederick.com

Keep 98% of the dust out of your machine with this free dust collector:
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...e-final-answer

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    Anyone have any decent projects where they have carved a photo into wood? Any tips for doing so?

I know they look so much better in Plastic, but I have a potential customer wanting to see it carved in wood and I just don't have any.
    That should be easy, first crank up the band saw mill and cut a few Slabs and when you find one you like take a photo of it and make a “Wood 1” image for the CW unit. Then make a PTN of a photo you want to carve, this one is my Great-Great grand child named Haley Harp. Set up the MPC to make the carving. Then mount the Slab on a Carrier Board so the widest part of the slab is on the edge next to the Key Pad, ( this is the first place the CW unit starts the board measurement (the Width)) – Next the CW unit checks the length, when the rollers Uncompress, that will be the length. If the slab is 7 inches longer than your MPC it will center on the slab, if the slab is short then you will need rails.

Hope this helps. BJB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo on SlabCW.jpg   Photo on SlabCW pe.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bjbethke; 04-20-2011 at 06:33 PM.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Quote Originally Posted by bjbethke View Post
    That should be easy, first crank up the band saw mill and cut a few Slabs and when you find one you like take a photo of it and make a “Wood 1” image for the CW unit. Then make a PTN of a photo you want to carve, this one is my Great-Great grand child named Haley Harp. Set up the MPC to make the carving. Then mount the Slab on a Carrier Board so the widest part of the slab is on the edge next to the Key Pad, ( this is the first place the CW unit starts the board measurement (the Width)) – Next the CW unit checks the length, when the rollers Uncompress, that will be the length. If the slab is 7 inches longer than your MPC it will center on the slab, if the slab is short then you will need rails.

Hope this helps. BJB
    LOL! I think you just answered two posts in one...that's two! two! two! posts in one!

(Sorry, think I just had a flashback to an old Raisin Brand commercial.)

actualy I beleive your thinking of a "Certs" two mints in one commercial. (not that it matters,lol)

10. Default

That Elvis pattern looks like it was some kind of black and white clip art. Its easy to carve that kind of thing. Sometimes photos can be turned into black and white images fairly simply but most would not. Being skilled in photoshop I could turn just about anything into black and white by selecting portions of a photo seperately and using the levels to make darks darker and lights lighter. Once you have a black and a white image all you have to do is set the depth with designer. Someone skilled could also create different shades in areas to make things pop up at different levels. Also blurring edges gives a round gradual edge.

Alan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast