Thread: Tolerance Rings

Default Tolerance Rings

If you have removed the Carvewright spindle, you will have noticed two "corrugated" rings which surround the outer races of both bearings. These rings have been called “tolerance rings” in previous threads. What is their purpose? There must be a good reason for them because they must thermally insulate the bearings from the truck, which I think, cannot be a good thing. Are they simply a way to avoid having to machine the truck for the bearings. Were they a counter measure for the QC vibration? Are they to deal with thermal expansion? Do the new CarveTight spindles still use them? Anyone have any answers or ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.JPG   2.JPG   3.JPG  

Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Thanks Jeff. Looks like there are lots of benefits to these rings. I do not think, however, that they do much for cooling the bearings. That begs the next question: do we need ceramic bearings? (Does anyone know if the new CarveTight spindles have steel, ceramic, or hybrid ceramic bearings?)

4. Default

To answer one of your questions, Yes the Carve Tight still uses tolerance rings.. Mine failed after less than 20hrs, thanks to LHR for standing behind the new spindle and replacing my CT assembly for free even though there was no warranty in effect.

Daniel Smith
    Quarry Designs Wood Working
    www.quarrydesignswoodworking.com

Jeff,

That is a GREAT Webpage.... THANKS.... You Added to my Knowledge on Bearings.... Up until now I knew what they were but not WHY....

THANKS,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

What about ceramic bearings? Has Carvewright ever used them? Would we be smart to use them or are they an unnecessary expense?