Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heated workshop

It is a nice idea a heated tool closet. Except as mentioned before don't pull a nice warm tool out into a freezing room it will get covered in condensate and need to be acclimated to the shop temp. I think it would be better to leave the tools in the main shop and let then heat up with the rest of the shop.
    I am originally from Michigan's UP and used to dealing with the extreme cold as well.
    I plan on putting in overhead radiant heater when I move out of the basement.
    Mike G
    Custom wood working, etc, www.gmanind.com

MY ANSWER WAS A FORCED AIR 75,000 BTU UNIT.

RAN 3/4 BLACK PIPE TO SHOP FROM HOUSE... WORKS GREAT//

WAS ALWAYS HAVING TO THROW AWAY ALL STAINS/VARNISH'S ECT.

NOW IF I COULD GET TIME TO CLEAN IT UP..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails picture222_066_236.jpg  

Mike G - Sorry, but you've got it the wrong way round.
    If there is water vapor in the air at a given temperature, it will condense on any cooler surface. Warm breath on cold glasses ?

The danger of leaving tools out in an unheated environment comes from a sequence of events.
    You've left your tools out - large mass of metal. Overnight the air temperature drops along with that of the tools, a slow process.
    After dawn, the sunrise heats up the air quite quickly, but the mass of metal is slower to react, so its temperature lags that of the air. In these conditions water will condense out of the air onto the surface of the metal.
    Unless of course the humidity has dropped overnight, but that's moving the goalposts.
    Regards
    John

good thing the question wasent to hard!!

i now understand how n.a.s.a. works..

Default Cold temps

After making the original post I talked to CW and the tech said the biggest problem is you have 2 metals in the machine. One expands and contracts and the other doesn't. Nothing in the machine will be hurt if it gets cold but he said to try to avoid big temp changes. The room should be above 40 and the machine warmed evenly to room temp before trying to carve. This lessens the possibility of the metal parts binding.

Quote Originally Posted by Greybeard
    Mike G - Sorry, but you've got it the wrong way round.
    If there is water vapor in the air at a given temperature, it will condense on any cooler surface. Warm breath on cold glasses ?

The danger of leaving tools out in an unheated environment comes from a sequence of events.
    You've left your tools out - large mass of metal. Overnight the air temperature drops along with that of the tools, a slow process.
    After dawn, the sunrise heats up the air quite quickly, but the mass of metal is slower to react, so its temperature lags that of the air. In these conditions water will condense out of the air onto the surface of the metal.
    Unless of course the humidity has dropped overnight, but that's moving the goalposts.
    Regards
    John
    Yikes So true! So sorry to mis quote myself!! cold tool to a warm environment = condensation. warm tool to a cold room is OK. My point as is yours if I read better than I type is keep the environment more stable, less metal moving and condensation. Also having the shop somewhat warm makes it easier for me to get motivated to get to work a little earlier. When I make cabinets it is very important to acclimate the wood to as close to room conditions as possible. Temp + humidity = wood movement. Thats another discussion.
    Mike G
    Custom wood working, etc, www.gmanind.com

Hello All,

I have used a Honeywell Oil-Filled Heater for many years, and it does a great job of keeping the workshop comfortable, with a very safe heat source.

My workshop is a 2-car garage, insulated and drywalled. Even though I'm in Southern Georgia, it can get a bit cool in the winter. Last week, we got down to the 30's, but my workshop temperature never dropped below 60 degrees.

I bought mine about 6 years ago online at Target and see they have updated their design and lowered the price. ( I paid $59.95 but you can get the new model for $39.99 now)

Here's a link if anyone is interested...
    http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000JGCQRK

I'll post a pic of mine.

NOTE: I have it plugged into a separate 15 Amp circuit - that is, separate from my 20 Amp circuit that I use for my power tools.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails oilheater_140.jpg  
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I use the same oil heater in my shop wich in wisconon it has been below 0 for the last week or so and i have had no problems. it is cheap to run and it is safer than convetional space heaters.
    Teach the little ones right, they are our future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12