Thread: Recommended bit exposure?

Default Recommended bit exposure?

It seems that sometimes after I finish machining a figure and have to install the 1/8" cutting bit I sometimes get a z-axis error which cancels the program and is somewhat frustrating. I understand the bit was probably to long.

Is there a recommended cutter bit exposure when using the Rock Chuck?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

I just received a 3/16" cutting bit. It comes with the Carvetight collar. Is the Rock Chuck and Carvetight Chuck the same length?
    Mel

Patterns for sale at CW's Pattern Depot
    Check out "Yankee Pop's Shop" at
    http://www.carvewright.com/store/pat...nkeepop&page=1

I used to have that problem as well and IIRC everyone said 1 1/2" exposed was the proper amount. That is what I use now and it has worked out so far. I cut a piece of platic tubing at 1 1/2" and use it to gauge the length. (of course I take it off before carving).

I cut a small piece of Shrink tubing and put it on each one of my 1/4 cutting/carving bits. Even applied a little glue before putting heat to the tubing to make sure it stays on good. Never had a problem after that and it's always worked fine.
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Are you using the Rock Chuck?

I still am having the problem regardless of the length. I tried 1.5, 1.437, 1.375, 1.312 lengths and still have the same problem. I also recalibrating the depth. When setting up for a project the machine calls for the 1/8" cutting bit. Everything is normal until it does its checking for the board height. I touches the board twice then moves slightly and touches the board three more times. The last three times I can hear it tapping the board then I get the z-axis error.
    Mel

Jerry,

I use 1/4" Tygon tubing from the hardware store as stops on my bits. I cut it to 1/16" lengths. It has to stretch over the shank and has never slipped. It's easier then then shrink tubing.
    Mel