Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X axis incorrect

Default X axis incorrect

Good morning all
    I recently have been having minor issues with my Carvewright. First I was having MAJOR pitch build up on the bearings which was inhibiting a smooth action left to right/right to left along the rails. Building a dust collection to alleviate that problem. Then had to adjust the head pressure which was an easy fix by lubricating the clutch shaft but now it is measuring the board inaccurately. A 36" long board is being recognized as being 36.620. I manually adjusted the X axis to get it as close to 36.120 but cannot any further because apparently it's maxes out on the degree range. Is there any other thoughts or ideas that anyone has to tweak it a little further? There's only around 170 hrs on the machine and everything seems to be in really good shape.
    Thanks for any input!
    Tim

Did you replace your O Ring on the Brass Roller? Bigger O Ring = Error

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Hi Al
    No I did not replace the O ring. I took a look at it and it seems in good shape but I'm not quite sure where exactly it's suppose to be positioned on the brass roller. Any tips of what to look for? Can I replace it with any O ring of the same size from the local hardware store?

Thanks
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Schluppy View Post
    Hi Al
    No I did not replace the O ring. I took a look at it and it seems in good shape but I'm not quite sure where exactly it's suppose to be positioned on the brass roller. Any tips of what to look for? Can I replace it with any O ring of the same size from the local hardware store?

Thanks
    Tim
    Here's a pic I posted on another topic, but it shows the position of the O-ring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Original_and_New_Brass_Roller_Sensors.jpg  
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

In another thread I believe Ike posted that the correct size (if sandpaper belts) is 5/16" id x 7/16" od. I'm pretty sure the rubber belts require a different size.
    Doug Fletcher

Look at the photos posted above and determine whether you have the "original" or the "new" brass sensor, then...

Original sensor O-ring size is: 5/16" ID X 7/16" OD (got mine at Home Depot plumbing Dept.)

New sensor O-ring size is: 1/4" ID x 3/8" OD (got mine from www.McMaster.com Part Number: 9557K462 $4.39 for 100 of 'em!)
    (Actual Inside Diameter is 0.239"...Actual Outside Diameter is 0.379")
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 02-10-2011 at 01:09 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by Schluppy View Post
    Hi Al

Thanks
    Tim

Tim I just adjusted my X axis manually last night. I managed to get 36.017 I set mine at 882.000 and using a tape measure it isn't always exact so being .017 is close enough and being a computer it may very well be 36.017. The problem I am having is when I use a shorter board (16") I get a stuck roller and a tracking roller error. Yes Chief I am using masking tape! I did get it to go through all the steps and start, but the sliding plate was not against the board. I had to slide it against the board so the cutting bit could find the thickness. So I adjusted the plate so I hope that solved the problem.?

I tried changing the brass roller with the older style, but it would not work. I am trying to make a heart box for my son to give to his girlfriend. I have a 11" heart with a 9" heart with a carve region that is suppose to be center in the middle. But the heart was too far on the left, not to mention the whole project was not the correct size.

Were you having the same issues? BTW I found the O ring at my local Ace Hardware store and I bought a few to have on hand. I think it is easier to remove the squaring plate by the 2 screws, (but not the 2 screws that hold the brass roller) then disconnect the wires to the brass roller and then replace the O ring. You can try it in place, but if you drop the O ring it falls into black hole! Anyway just my opinion and others may not agree, but that is how I do it!

Ike

The Masking Tape Police are watching..... Snicker.....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    The Masking Tape Police are watching..... Snicker.....

AL
    And not to make you paranoid Al, but the 3M Police are watching them . . .

Bruce
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Are the rubber belt O rings the same size?
    Clint

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast