Page 32 of 61 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself

Hi, My name is Mike F,

I am also a Newbie. Welcome. Looking for advice from veterans on here. Trying to learn photo carving.

Mike,

Thanks for the bump on your introduction, Welcome to the forum! Do not hold back on asking any questions you might have.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Welcome Mike.

Photo carving is a quite a bit harder than litho carving.
    There are a few members here that do carving from pictures very well.
    There is a Tips-N-Tricks, I think, about one method.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Hello Mike ,,, There are write-ups on photo carving in Tips N Tricks ... I printed them for myself a while back but never got a chance to use em ... Anyway welcome to the forum and remember ,,, " the only dumb question is ,, The one you don't ask " ...

Kevin Williams
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Quote Originally Posted by mikelf View Post
    hey everyone,
    My name is Mike, I live in Saucier Ms. (on the coast) I am new to all of this. I am trying to make a cut out of a sign and letters, any help would b e appreciated. Also anyone living close to the coast to bounce ideas off. Looking forward to making new friends and carving for a long time, am disabled and can't live on what the govt. sends me. THANKS Mike
    mikelf,

Welcome to the Forum. I am sure you will have a lot of fun with your new machine and find help with most any question concerning the machine here on the forum.
    This is a little off subject but I have a sister that lives in Saucier. Last time I was there was before the hurricane.
    I am in the same boat about being disabled and trying to make it on what the government sends me. Thank God my wife still works.

Once again, Welcome
    Mike
    mikemi on the forum
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

6. Default

Hello, This is my first time trying this and completely expect to screw up terribly, so be patient with me please. I think I am going to show as "captstory" here, I am not sure of that, nonetheless my real name is George. Boring I know, but true all the same. I purchased my machine in January and got delivery at the end of March or the first of April. I have done quite a bit and have learned a lot as I have gone. I am getting better, but I have a question about 60 degree cutters. The program is set to max the cutter out and I do not know how to change that. It is cutting the max track and I only want 1/2 that. I am certain there has to be a way to tell the machine to not cat as deep as that, I but can't find the way to do that. It is not giving me an option of setting the depth. I am certain it is me and I'm not seeing something that has to be obvious, but I'm not able to find it. HELP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGeorge View Post
    Hello, This is my first time trying this and completely expect to screw up terribly, so be patient with me please. I think I am going to show as "captstory" here, I am not sure of that, nonetheless my real name is George. Boring I know, but true all the same. I purchased my machine in January and got delivery at the end of March or the first of April. I have done quite a bit and have learned a lot as I have gone. I am getting better, but I have a question about 60 degree cutters. The program is set to max the cutter out and I do not know how to change that. It is cutting the max track and I only want 1/2 that. I am certain there has to be a way to tell the machine to not cat as deep as that, I but can't find the way to do that. It is not giving me an option of setting the depth. I am certain it is me and I'm not seeing something that has to be obvious, but I'm not able to find it. HELP!!!
    George,

If you are using "Centerline" you cannot set the depth. That is determined by the line spacing in the font. If you are assigning a bit to a vector then, select the vector and then use the "Select Bit" tool from the tools menu.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 08-02-2014 at 01:33 PM.
    Steve

8. Default

Thank you, Can the multiple pass be used and if so how? It burns the bit out quick cutting that deep all at once. Centerline is the only option for this job.

George,

Here is a link that might help.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGeorge View Post
    Thank you, Can the multiple pass be used and if so how? It burns the bit out quick cutting that deep all at once. Centerline is the only option for this job.
    Almost all fonts are made up of two adjacent lines. The v-bit travels down the center between the two lines (centerline) and plunges to a depth that will fill the space between the lines. For effect and font enhancement the space between the lines will vary so the depth of the bit will vary creating the "fancy" font designs. That's why you can't set the depth. It would destroy this effect. There are some single line fonts but, if you study them carefully you will see that when they are carved they are not very fancy or detailed when compared to standard fonts.

EDIT: The 90 degree bit will not plunge as deep because the angle is greater and it will fill the space between the lines at a more shallow depth.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 08-02-2014 at 02:04 PM.
    Steve

Page 32 of 61 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast