Thread: cleaning up stair stepping on cutpath problem solve

Default cleaning up stair stepping on cutpath problem solve

Again Thanks Steve and MT for your input on this question.
    I did a controled test on three different objects in foam, then one in wood.
    The foam I set the depth to .300 and an inset to .01 and it came out perfect. I appears that on the last pass is when it applies the inset , also by setting the depth to .300 on a 3/4" board you are sure the the tip of the cutting bit extends pass the thickness of the board. This is find if you are not using a sled, cause it will cut into the sled big time.
    The second test was on 3/4 board with a depth set at .250 and there was some lines that can be seen , I think is was cause be the tip of the cutting bit. Anyway that is minor sanding.
    So the key is set the cut depth a little more than a 1/3 of the thickness of the board, that way you can ensure the cutting side of the bit go pass the bottom of the board and gives you a smooooth cut.
    see attached.
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

As i said it seemed to work for me, i was thinking that the last pass would take another .10 off cutout
    steve
    Start U Member

Normally when you choose an inset, all of the passes have that inset. Are you saying that an inset of 0.01 is a special code which instructs the machine to do the clean up pass? The 0.01 is actually ignored until the last pass?

i dont know how it works, just saying it seems to work for me when i do it this way.
    steve
    Start U Member

The test would be to look and see if only one side of the cut is cleaned up. If it is true, it could also work for closed bit paths and drill should do the clean up automatically.