Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carving in cedar?...You bet!

Default Carving in cedar?...You bet!

Just finished carving a sign for my in-laws for the camper. I carved it out of cedar that I got from a local lumber mill. It was scrap ends they had set aside for the chipper. I pulled it out and they gave it to me. The detail in the carving is actually very good for such a sof wood. After carving on normal setting, I sanded it with a 320g mop sander, painted the letters and finished it with an exterior varathane gloss finish. So what do ya'll think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails signs 027.jpg  

Phil,

Looks great and I bet your shop smells great to!!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

It sure does. I was able to pickup allot of cedar for free. After ripping and planing some down, the aroma in the shop is great. Even now when I turn on my dust collector I can still smell the cedar.

Bonney Lake, Washington, United States, 113160055365328, Bonney Lake, Washington

Those signs came out great! I use local cedar for most of my signs, I love the patterns in the wood.
    Tom Watson
    Two CW's and D.C.-Top Mount Insert @ Ringneckblues.com Get the dust out!!
    50" X 48" PDJ Pilot Pro CNC http://www.pdjinc.com

Check out my Facebook page for current carvings at http://www.facebook.com/signsinwood

Watsons Wooden Words http://www.signsinwood.com & Messages in Wood http://www.messagesinwood.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman Phil View Post
    Just finished carving a sign for my in-laws for the camper. I carved it out of cedar that I got from a local lumber mill. It was scrap ends they had set aside for the chipper. I pulled it out and they gave it to me. The detail in the carving is actually very good for such a sof wood. After carving on normal setting, I sanded it with a 320g mop sander, painted the letters and finished it with an exterior varathane gloss finish. So what do ya'll think.
    Phil looks fantastic! Cedar along with redwood are the best outdoor wood! I use old growth redwood and if the mill will allow you I would snag as many end pieces you can! I love the sap portion with the heart! Outstanding job!

Ike

Phil looks sweet!

one draw back on the cedar is that it can thrash the truck bearings quicker than most wood. So check the bearing for the odd frozen one, wd40 will clean them up to a point and have a backup set at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    Phil looks sweet!

one draw back on the cedar is that it can thrash the truck bearings quicker than most wood. So check the bearing for the odd frozen one, wd40 will clean them up to a point and have a backup set at hand.
    That is good info I would guess it applies to redwood also! Lol figures I mostly use redwood!

Thank you my friend!

Ike

excellent point re: the bearings--
    and awesome sign as well

Thanks for taking the time to post both guys-
    Lawrence

ps-the varathane finish looks like it gave the piece an expecially nice clearcoat
    ldr

Love the signs.

Great job.

Good photo of the signs.
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

10. Default

Very nice, & classy too!
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.
    Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

FATAL ERROR! SYSTEM HALTED! - Press any key to do nothing...

Some people have a way with words, others not have way.
    CarveSpot Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast