Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beer Mug

these mugs are beautiful...........That's awasome my husband will love it.

2. Default

I would love to see the sled and even one of the MPC's just to get an idea of the dimensions. How are you drilling the center and are you cutting out the handle and then attaching it? Is it all one piece or separate handle and mug?

Default Four sided carving.

Moderators, feel free to move this into a different area if you feel that's where it should be. Techniques, maybe? Or deleted?

The mugs are made in four pieces, main body, top, bottom, and handle. The CW cuts the top rim, and that gets glued on. Then the center hole is drilled with a forstner bit. Glue on bottom. Then into the sled. The patterns wouldn't do anyone any good unless they have a sled the same as mine.
    The sled lets me hold the piece without counting on it sitting flush on the sides or bottom. That, of course, is because those sides will have already been carved as we go along. I make sure it sits flush with the top surface of the sled when I load it. See the pictures and you'll see what I mean.
    The head block in the sled never moves, so I always know where the carve will wind up. The other end moves and pinches it in place. It's VERY sturdy. I put a piece in it, tightened it down, and stood on it. Couldn't get it to budge at all.
    So there you have it, how to do a four sided carve. Just carve and turn, carve and turn...
    By the way, that sled has seen better days and looks like it. That one has made over fourty mugs so far, and is still holding up. But it sure looks like it, huh?
    The same technique could be used for other things needing carved four sided. I wouldn't try anything to thin, it might break from the pressure holding it in place. For the mugs it works fine, though. The patterns are kind of a pain to get right, where the sides overlap a bit. But as long as the sled gives you repeatability you can work it out. Expect to waste some wood getting it right, though. The first eight mugs I tried wound up in the trash. The next two my wife uses to hold pencils on her desk. Pretty ugly, to be honest. Now, I'm cranking them out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sled1.jpg   Sled3.jpg   Sled2.jpg  

4. Thumbs up Thanks for all the directions and pics!

Thanks for taking the time and putting up the pics!

Really appreciate you posting the pictures. Makes it easier to understand your method. Look forward to seeing more of your mugs in the future.

Really awsome project. Thank you so much for sharing with us. Thanks ,Capt Barry

Thank you, everyone!

I have never seen anyone carve all four sides of anything before. Besides me, that is. So I'm hoping someone else tries it and I can learn from their scrap pile. God knows I made my wife enough pencil holders getting this right....

The sled looks a little tall to fit in the machine. How tall is it?
    Clint

Three quarters of an inch from maxing it out. It was one of the criteria that determined the final size of the mugs when I designed them.

Doug, I think your technique is very creative. Puts you as another CW carver that's in the amazing category. Thnx for sharing photos of sled/holder. Who's gonna be first for the 8-sided carve??
    LOL. Joe
    Plea of Insanity for Addiction to ol' H-D Sporters

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast