Thread: How do I fix a carve.

Red face How do I fix a carve.

Hi All
    I am trying fix a carve that went wrong (operator error). I used an old bit hoping to get a sign finished for a local Farmers Market (been waiting six weeks for new bits and need to get sign finished). I am told new bits will arrive today for sure so I want to re-carve the bee images and oval. The oval is no problem, I will just drop the depth slightly and carve out area again. The problem is I can't seem to find a way to re-carve the bees , any settings I have changed so far do not seem to sink the bees into the board along with the oval. When I mouse over the bee it remains at the same height regardless of the setting changes to depth or height ajustments. Depth currently set to .374 Height set to 999. I would appreciate any help. Am I over looking something simple or can this not be done.
    Thanks for taking the time to read.
    Have great day!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bees.jpg   BeesCarved.jpg   BeeOval.jpg  

Do you have neither the bee or the oval set to "Merge additive"? Set all of them to "Merge normal". Set the bee depth equal to the oval depth and lower the height until you see it drop.
    HT
    Last edited by www.go3d.us; 07-30-2010 at 11:36 AM.

If I remember correctly, the height of 999 will stretch the image to the top surface. If you are just trying to have the bit skim over the existing pattern and just take a few thousands off, I would keep the original depth (or subtract what you have lowered the ovals to) and then if the original height was 100, set it to 96 or 97.
    Doug Fletcher

Thanks Guys
    Ajustments made and back in the carver, fingers crossed that all lines up well and can finish today.
    Have a great weekend!
    Be the change you want to see in the world!
    Richard
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I have to admit re-carving scares me.

So far I have just added to the firewood pile and started over if I had problems. But I may have to try it some day.

Justin Pierce, aka spalted
    *Pattern Editor (Probe) * Centerline * Dxf Import * STL Importer * Version 3 Standalone * Advanced 3D * Advanced 2D * Conforming Vectors * Rotary *C Machine *Rock Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by spalted View Post
    I have to admit re-carving scares me.
    Me too! But then I usually screw up a lot worse than that and most of the time recarving is not an option [] What happened to the smileys?
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

Quote Originally Posted by jaroot View Post
    What happened to the smileys?
    Go 'Advanced' Hmmmm, seems most of them don't work. I'll report it.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

I did liked the old thumbs-up better anyway
    Last edited by Kenm810; 07-31-2010 at 07:03 AM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Update on Bee Carve

First eight bees carved over great, could not tell it had been recarced, 2 x 12 cedar board had to move 4 feet to start the next set of bees. Thats when I started seeing double. Some how lost about a 1/4 inch and started carveing to soon. Designer firewood it is.

Spalted I have recarved much smaller projects in the past with out problem. Win soom Burn soom.

Have a goodnight morning or day, where ever you maybe.
    Last edited by WRW; 07-30-2010 at 10:08 PM.
    Be the change you want to see in the world!
    Richard
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada