Thread: Man am I needy! Another question.

Default Man am I needy! Another question.

Ok so I have recieved a file from another user. The problem is they only have it as a 3dm file. How can I convert the rhino file to a file type which I can use for my CW? Am I going to have to buy the STL importer just to check out this project I need....Man this machine just is getting too expensive with all the accessories and repairs I keep having to get. Thanks Again in advance.

Can the user send you a depth map of the object? Short of the the STL importer would be you best bet. On the plus side, LHR is budling ghe STL and DXF importer at a discount right now.. of course for those of us that already bought the STL importer, the deal still doesnt help us at all.
    Doug Fletcher

Please forgive my ignorance but what is a depth map. The file he gave me is the only thing he had. I am learning all this as fast as I can, but there is so much information to absorb. I hate feeling so dumb.

Did he model it for you or just something he had lying around? A depth map (or height map depending on who you are speaking with) is a grey scale image of the object that uses the shades of grey to represent differt heights of the 3d model. Most 3D modeling programs give you an option to create a depth mad for you model. This map can them be directly imported into Designer. Take a looks at this link which shows some examples and gives you more details.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...10&q=depth+map
    Doug Fletcher

Oh ok...well I downloaded the trial of rhino so I may be able to create a depth map from the file. As for how he got it, he said he had it laying around and doesn't remember where he got it. I will see if I can get the program to do a depth map. He did not know how to convert it either.

You can also trying posting the object on the forum as asking someone who had the STL importer to convert it for you. A few have done that in the past. I do have the STL importer, but haver not used it enought to feel i'm qualified to create the patterns for you.
    Doug Fletcher

Did he sent you a 3d model of a 3d object? or relief 2.5d model?

I believe it is a 3d model. I can get the wire frame, shaded, and smoothed objects but no depth map. If anyone wants to try and convert it to an mpc i can try and carve I will send you the file. It will not let me attach it, which is unusual since I am sure it was posted on the forum before. Hard to believe with all the help I have been needing but I am working on some cool projects that I will share when I am done, so I will be returning the favor for all of you who have been such a great help. Thanks