Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is the curved groove has incorrect measurement?

Default Why is the curved groove has incorrect measurement?

I set the yellow dot in the middle of the rectangle to be .75 but when the machine curved the rectangle groove, it is 1" instead of .75". The following is a picture of what I have. Anyway to fix this?

Many thanks for any kind of help.

When you select the bit you're going to use, inset it by 1/2 the diameter of the bit. The rectangle you've set is at .75", the center of the bit is traveling along the center of the rectangle's lines resulting in too wide a path.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Quote Originally Posted by cnsranch View Post
    When you select the bit you're going to use, inset it by 1/2 the diameter of the bit. The rectangle you've set is at .75", the center of the bit is traveling along the center of the rectangle's lines resulting in too wide a path.
    Forgive me but, where do I select the bit? I select the path and click on Tools/Drill Tool but nothing happens. The Select Bit option under the Tools menu is grayed out.

Okay, so if I am going to use the 1/8 that means the inset will be .0625", correct?
    Last edited by Itsmeagain; 06-24-2010 at 12:29 PM.

Let's back up -

Have you drawn a rectangle and assigned a Carve Region to it, or have you assigned a Cut Path to the rectangle (I assumed you had assigned a cutting bit to the rectangle, but apparently not).
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Quote Originally Posted by Itsmeagain View Post
    Okay, so if I am going to use the 1/8 that means the inset will be .25", correct?
    I think we're both posting at the same time.

The width of an 1/8" bit is .125, 1/2 of that is .0625 - that's the inset.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Yes, I assigned a Curve Region with depth 1" but it shows as .808". I selected the Curve Region on the Carving list on the left but the Select Bit is still inactive to seelct.

Can't carve deeper than .808", it'll default to that when you set it deeper.

A carve region is done with the carving bit, which has a taper to it - you won't get perfect dimensions with a Carve Region, but it will be close.

Make sure you don't have any feather assigned to the CR, it will widen the dimensions.

Just what are you trying to accomplish? Maybe we can show you a better way....
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Can't carve deeper than .808", it'll default to that when you set it deeper.

A carve region is done with the carving bit, which has a taper to it - you won't get perfect dimensions with a Carve Region, but it will be close.

Make sure you don't have any feather assigned to the CR, it will widen the dimensions.

Just what are you trying to accomplish? Maybe we can show you a better way....
    I'm trying to carve a rectangle groove so I can fit another piece of wood inside of it. That's why I need it to be precise. So, how do I enable the Select Bit option? I already have a carve region assigned.

As I said before, a Carve Region is carved with the carving bit, period - you can't assign another bit to do the job.

What you want to do is create one or a series of vector paths that you can then assign a bit to - as an example, if you select the "line tool", and then draw a line on your virtual board, you can then assign a bit to that line (technically a vector path), tell the machine how deep to carve that line, etc. If you draw two lines side-by-side, you can assign the 1/8" cutting bit to each of them, and you now have a "groove" that's 1/4" wide (assuming that the lines are the appropriate distance apart from one another, and you have them inset properly).

Making more sense?

As MT said, if you haven't downloaded all the Tips and Tricks issues, and done all but commit them to memory, you're going to get frustrated in short order. They are our Bible, and very well done.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast