Thread: More Mac issues.

Default More Mac issues.

Ok, I've had my Carvewright machine for about 3-4 months. My set up is a Mac running 10.5.8 2 x 2.66 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon with a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT w/ 256 mg ram. I have one 23" Apple Cinima Screen and one 21" Apple Cinima Screen running off the same card.

I've had nothing but problems with it. Software problems, machine breaking twice. I've only really used the machine about 6-7 times. The rest of the time has been spent trying to fix it or figure out why the software doesn't work. Here is a list of BS I'm going through:

1) I have a problem with the whole rendering thing. I know it's been posted before. I've read up on all the so called "Fixes" and even talked to carve wright about this issue. Nothing works. Contacted them back, no replies.

2) The program crashes all the time. I've got 8gb of ram. That should be plenty. I've got lost of disk space and a really good video card. I've tried everything. Now I can't even get the program to work. I have the most simple designs, and it crashs. My work around is that I HAVE to save between EVERY time I more something or make a change. Then after 10 different changes, I close the application and relauch. This is the only way I can get anything to work. It freaking annoying!

I've tried everything, dumping my .plist file in the library and dumping the application and downloading a clean application off the website.

Keep in mind, I'm a graphic designer and work in signage and printing. I work in Photoshop and Illustrator all day with 500mg-1gb files on the same machine and never have these issues.

3) You can not de-authorize software on a computer. I tried to de-authorize my that software on one of my Macs but you can't. I went on to my account online and tried removing it there. There is no option to remove a computer. I've contacted CW - again no replies.

It seams to me the Mac software is Beta, at best, and is not truly finished with fixing any issues. The reason I bought this was because it was available for Mac. I've contacted Carvewright a few times and now it seams they don't want to help me any more. It seams to me that CW wants you to buy their product, but don't care if it works or not after you buy it. If I don't get a reply from this, I'll probably sell it on eBay and get something that actually works. I'm tired of their VERY VERY poor customer service and would rather do everything by hand.

Here are 2 previous post that I've never had anything answered:
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=14316
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=14891
    Last edited by MEISTER; 05-02-2010 at 03:35 PM.
    Dave Meister
    Owner
    Meister Gauge Faces

Thumbs down

It's kind of funny, after I make a post and send a 3rd email one of my problems is solved.

They removed one of my computer licenses, yet they failed to even contact me to tell me they took action.

Unbelievable. Thanks for the great communication too.
    Dave Meister
    Owner
    Meister Gauge Faces

Sinced they don't work Sundays I would suspect that your license request was taken care of previously. I have sometimes found correspondence from companies on support issues sometimes end up in my junk folder as they are often computer generated by computer.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Default some versions better

Dave,

I'm currently using version 1.153. Seems to work the best so far. Past versions gave me terrible rendering performance and many crashes. You won't be able to load the last 2 POMs but this version runs all my old files and anything I create in this version, pretty well. I've had many issues with Designer on Mac in the past as well. I had "checksum" issues for months. I was told that LHR couldn't recreate the problem. When 1.153 came out the problem went away.
    I just don't think the programmers are very Mac savvy.

I don't understand why you seem to have so many Mac problems when others of us Mac users do not. I was the first Mac Beta tester since Jan. '06 and am currently using Snow Leopard (10.6.3) and have had no problems. Could it be a permissions issue? Or possibly a quandry with some other program you have running in the background. In which case, LHR software engineers are not going to be able to help you. I'd look at your system with a microscope and try to resolve your internal problem. I wish I could help, but without you CPU at my disposal, I'm at a loss. Another thought-when was the last time you zapped your PRAM?
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

"I don't understand why you seem to have so many Mac problems when others of us Mac users do not."

I agree I am also a Mac user and have no issues

I have zapped my PRAM. I have tried everything.

I don't have any issues with this on my other Mac at work - but that is a Quad core processor so I was thinking it was because it has more processing power.

I guess my main issue is that when I contact them, they never reply.

Is there a log way to see why it crashes? When it does crash, it just shows the pin wheel and I always have to hold the power button and restart the machine.

I don't know how I can reconfigure other than reloading my entire OS. Which I also did about 2 weeks ago.

???
    Dave Meister
    Owner
    Meister Gauge Faces

I haven't updated to 1.163 yet but I have a wimpy Mac Mini with an Intel proc, 1 GB ram and while I do have to wait for rendering to be completed ( which is annoying but my machine is old ) I have not had any issues like you are talking about. My OS is still 10.4.11 so I don't have any advice except to think that it might have something to do with your particular Mac and some type of conflict happening ... ?

Maybe, Just seams kinda weird.

Here is a 3 minute You Tube video I shot showing what the problem is and how it crashes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDl36jtWe2c

In this video, it actually lets me do quite a few things which is not normal. Usually it only lets me perform 2-3 operations before it crashes.
    Dave Meister
    Owner
    Meister Gauge Faces