Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make a barrel?

I'm intrigued by this whole idea.

What if you ripped all you staves on the table saw including the miter angle. then, cut the outside curve on the CW.
    Made a sled with a matching curve in it. and carved the inside of the staves.
    Do your end cuts with a jig in the miter saw or on a table saw sled.

Strap the barrel staves together with a ratchet strap and rout a groove around the inside to rabbet the barrel head into.

Then I think you will have to slowly dry your staves in the oven to get the MC as low as possible before you put on your barrel bands.

Jeez...... this is starting to sound like a lot of work

I don't know if you planned to make it an exact replica of a full size barrel

Quote Originally Posted by spalted View Post
    I'm intrigued by this whole idea.

What if you ripped all you staves on the table saw including the miter angle. then, cut the outside curve on the CW.
    Made a sled with a matching curve in it. and carved the inside of the staves.
    Do your end cuts with a jig in the miter saw or on a table saw sled.

Strap the barrel staves together with a ratchet strap and rout a groove around the inside to rabbet the barrel head into.

Then I think you will have to slowly dry your staves in the oven to get the MC as low as possible before you put on your barrel bands.

Jeez...... this is starting to sound like a lot of work

I don't know if you planned to make it an exact replica of a full size barrel
    There lies the problem, how to cut the curve with the CW? That is what I am having a brain fart trying to figure out. If I knew how to make the outside curve I would carve it in a long board. To do the inside I could do it with the tablesaw by running the board across the blade. Plus the angle needed, and the dado cut.

May be a lot of work, but what is easy?!!!

Ike

Cool

Maybe a start like this, then cut out individual staves on the table saw,
    flip it so the inside of the satves are up and cut your angle on the sides --
    the blocks at each end of the stave will stabilize it while cutting the angles and can be trimmed off later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Barrel Staves 1a.jpg   Barrel Staves 2a.jpg   Barrel Staves 3a.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

There ya go Ken,

I kept thinking individual pieces.

I might have to make a barrel, and I don't even need one.

Default Mini Display - Barrel

Add a few V-Grooves "Croze" for Barrel Head and Bottom plus a deeper set for Barrel detail "Chime" and the block cut-off.
    Remember it's --- all still only Hypothetical
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grove for Barrel Lid and Bottom.jpg   Deeper V-Groove for Cutoff.jpg   Cut Stave 1.jpg   Cut Stave 2.jpg  

Last edited by Kenm810; 03-19-2010 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Added Photos
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Quote Originally Posted by Kenm810 View Post
    Maybe a start like this, then cut out individual staves on the table saw,
    flip it so the inside of the satves are up and cut your angle on the sides --
    the blocks at each end of the stave will stabilize it while cutting the angles and can be trimmed off later.
    Ken very cool!!! Of course I don't have my computer and I am out of town!!! When I get back I will try it on some scrap wood!

Thanks!!!

Ike

7. Default wood barrels

Ike, I know the amount of pride in being able to make wooden barrels, as an alternative however they arn't real expensive, especialy if you need them for this summer on your drink wagon.

http://www.artisanbarrels.info/index.html

good luck.

I like Ken's idea better, but this came into my mind so I had to try it. Using the 60° bit should result in 12 staves. Would be much more sensible if the 60° bit could cut the full depth in one pass.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails barrel.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by twiceretired View Post
    Ike, I know the amount of pride in being able to make wooden barrels, as an alternative however they arn't real expensive, especialy if you need them for this summer on your drink wagon.

http://www.artisanbarrels.info/index.html

good luck.
    I checked out the site, but no prices? I am not sure what is not expensive, but I have seen the cheapest at $80.00 to $100.00. The site had barrels that sit horizontal and I need mine to be vertical and about 10" to 12" in diameter and about 24" tall. I bet those on the site are over $100.00 and I need 6 so I have more time then money!

But they were great barrels and thank you for sharing the site! I have barrels already made of pine and I thought it would be cool to make my own from oak or redwood!

Ike

This is an old thread that I came across. I thought I would add to it since I am making a barrel today!

It will have 12 staves of oak. I am carving them four at a time since I need the grain to go across the board as it saves time and is nicer to carve this way. The stave is actually calculated as opposed to being drawn. This is one of my favorite things to do; calculate and then carve.

Sorry but the mpc is Designer 3. (The auto floor feather of 1.187 caused me too much grief.)

I will post more as it comes together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stave plot.PNG   Barrel fronts.PNG   Barrel backs.PNG  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast