Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: just put 162 junk upgrade in

Angry just put 162 junk upgrade in

Just put the 162 upgrade in and did a couple signs with centerline and they look just awful too awful in fact to give to the guy so in the trash with more wood. Where do I download the older versions of the software??
    Looking for a logo?? try www.brandsoftheworld.com

Woodworking Videoshttp://www.cro-wood.com

2. Default

This link should give you 1.153

http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/designer_1_153.exe

Good Luck

Thank you! It almost seems like they don't even test some of these releases.

If your having problems why not post the MPC files? That way other folks can look at them and see if the issue is software version related or design related. Just griping isn't going to help anyone, least of all yourself...
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Working fine again with old software. I will try to remember to post the mpc if I try another upgrade. I just thought for the money this stuff should work from the get go and is not for us users to waste our time and money in wood experimenting with it. So far I can think of 3 separate upgrades in the past where because of the upgrade in software I broke 2 bits and wasted way too much wood thinking it was me and not the machine and only proved it to myself by reverting back to an older version of the software.
    Last edited by CraigR; 03-17-2010 at 02:54 PM.

Craig - I feel your pain, but take a pill.

There's no way the software guys can test every possible function to test for bugs - just can't happen. Sometimes a bug doesn't show until we combine one function with another - too many possibilities to be 100 percent certain all's well.

I'm no expert, but I tend to wait a week or two with every upgrade before I download the new version - there's almost always a bug or two.

So far as the cost is concerned, we're not being charged a dime for the upgrades, and if you think about it, that's a pretty good deal.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Quote Originally Posted by cnsranch View Post
    Craig - I feel your pain, but take a pill.

There's no way the software guys can test every possible function to test for bugs - just can't happen. Sometimes a bug doesn't show until we combine one function with another - too many possibilities to be 100 percent certain all's well.

I'm no expert, but I tend to wait a week or two with every upgrade before I download the new version - there's almost always a bug or two.

So far as the cost is concerned, we're not being charged a dime for the upgrades, and if you think about it, that's a pretty good deal.
    I bit my tougue when you made that comment before. It just isnt true. Read Microsoft Code-Complete for a good start on code writing that has built in self test to insure code functions as designed. Or look at a lot of code in the linux camp. It is possible to write software that self checks every function to make sure it reponds correctly to the expected ranges of inputs for any given function. I know.. you wanna jump right in and point out how many bugs there are in MS products... this is true.. that vast majority of those are exploits... feeding a subroutine parameters that it is not expecting. Craig is refering to basic fuctions of the software... these are easily tested with a script.

And.. we are talking about a compnaythat was founded by people with a NASA background. I have to beleive they have a stong foundation is testing procedures. I just dont see much of that testing philosophy from the end user perspective.

I'm not trying to bash LHR.. but I think Craig has a point. Better testing needs to be done on the LHR side before software is released. Or better coding practices on the front side would reduce code changes even introducing new errors.

Doug Fletcher

Doug, I'm not trying to pick a fight. Frankly, my level of experience with computers is limited to using it, not programming, or understanding code.

I do know, however, that no one is doing any one else any favors by implying that TPTB are turning out crap because they either don't care, or don't have the expertise to do otherwise.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Quote Originally Posted by cnsranch View Post
    Doug, I'm not trying to pick a fight. Frankly, my level of experience with computers is limited to using it, not programming, or understanding code.

I do know, however, that no one is doing any one else any favors by implying that TPTB are turning out crap because they either don't care, or don't have the expertise to do otherwise.
    I agree.. I think the "crap" comment was just out of frustration on Craig's part... so I didnt really focus on that part of it.

As an aside.... does anyone know if the software is released to all of us at the same time? Or are there a handful of "select users" that get to run it thru it's paces before it is set for general release.

If not.. perhpas it would benifit everyone if LHR considered a beta program. Those who sign up for it know the software will most likely have some issues... so no whining allowed... and then when it is released to everyone.. hopfully most issues would be discovered and worked out by then.

Doug Fletcher

There is a beta program. Beta testers cannot test every conceivable way to use the software so sometimes things can slip through. For instance one of the recent issues with the latest release was a crash in PE when using the 'Pattern Settings' tool. There were 2-3 folks reporting the problem here on the forum and just as many (including myself) who had no problem with it. In a case like that if a problem can't be duplicated it can be very hard to track down the root cause.

On some occasions all the testing goes good but a few machines will have an odd problem or two with a firmware change so the software engineers take the feedback from those cases to make improvements.

The other issue I noticed a lot with the recent releases was a host of strange problems, random crashes, etc that were solved by doing a complete re-installation. This can happen with any upgrade as sometimes due to file corruption or other computer errors things don't go smoothly.

One other thing I have noticed after every upgrade is released is some folks blame every problem they have on the upgrade. A great deal of the time it is a design issue and not related to the upgrade at all.

In any of these cases it is only natural to feel a bit perturbed when you run into a problem, but just ranting about the upgrade does nothing to discover the cause. Posting the MPC your having trouble with is a great way to help nail down the source of the trouble as there are so many great folks on the forum who will gladly take a look-see and try it or make suggestion.

I would rather light a candle than curse the darkness.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast