Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dust collection

Quote Originally Posted by BBrooks View Post
    And nobody mentiond the bag port is not for chip or dust removal! You can hook up a downdraft system to remove dust from the slot in the bottom of the machine but it does not work well for wide boards.
    Right on both counts.

I originally build a table with a downdraft under the machine - no good.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

I use the dust collection from fwharris too, and recommend it highly.
    http://www.ringneckblues.com
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Default Muffler

Once you have a good "Vacuum Head", I feel you no longer need the downdraft.
    As you know, when you have wide boards there is little or no way for external air to enter the cutting area. This is due to the rollers, and sandpaper belts being compressed against the board and restricting possible air-flow.

I took this theory and reversed my thinking on the old downdraft system and reasoned (and tested) sending the air that was vented via the muffler into the old DD piping. This gives me a good source of extra air into the cutting area as long as the cut motor is active. Thus, even on the widest board I'm blowing dry air into the cutting area without having to rig another air supply. The point is to keep as much air-flow as possible to keep the unit clear of dust & chips. You notice a great difference with the cleanliness of the unit, and very little clean-up time.
    AskBud
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Exhaust to Hose (Medium).JPG   Exhaust Hose Support (Medium).JPG   Exhaust Hose to old DD (Medium).JPG  
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

4. Default Dust Collection Plans

Here are some plans for a system you can make yourself:
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ht=Frederick_P
    Frederick Potter
    Editions by Frederick
    http://www.editionsbyfrederick.com

Keep 98% of the dust out of your machine with this free dust collector:
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...e-final-answer

Quote Originally Posted by cnsranch View Post
    Right on both counts.

I originally build a table with a downdraft under the machine - no good.
    The only time I use the downdraft is during cut outs. It helps to suck the dust out of the cuts.

To all of the DC-Insert users who have posted their comments THANKS!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Default Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    The only time I use the downdraft is during cut outs. It helps to suck the dust out of the cuts.

To all of the DC-Insert users who have posted their comments THANKS!
    FW,
    What I have found, is that my Exhaust Reversal helps on cut-outs by venting the cut dust upward and the Vacuum Head(s) draws it off the project.

Further, by not attempting a Downdraft, at the same time I use the vacuum, I maintain maximum draw (vacuum) with the vacuum head.

I know, if I had a much stronger Dust Collector (600 CFM or better), I could do your "dual" method, but I only have a small DC.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    FW,
    What I have found, is that my Exhaust Reversal helps on cut-outs by venting the cut dust upward and the Vacuum Head(s) draws it off the project.

Further, by not attempting a Downdraft, at the same time I use the vacuum, I maintain maximum draw (vacuum) with the vacuum head.

I know, if I had a much stronger Dust Collector (600 CFM or better), I could do your "dual" method, but I only have a small DC.
    AskBud
    The majority of my cut outs are full pass so I cut down the air flow to the top mount and open the DD full flow. I to have a small DC @ 650 cfm. Would love to have a bigger unit but $$$$$ and right now for what I do it works...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Default rooting around

As long as you are "rooting" around, here's our setup.

Quote Originally Posted by cnsranch View Post
    You might want to root around here...

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ighlight=final
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DCandCW.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by jbiagioli View Post
    Has any one built a dust collection system for the carvewright machine? I have tried to hook a 8HP vacuum to the bag port but still does not clean but 1/3 of the chips from the machine.
    I use a Big Box Vacuume. SO called 5 Hp? Not sure. I modified the water pickup nozzle and used some 1/4 inch plywood glued onto it.

I have to cover the nozzle opening with masking tape on the areas that the wood is not below it. Works for me!

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jbiagioli View Post
    Has any one built a dust collection system for the carvewright machine? I have tried to hook a 8HP vacuum to the bag port but still does not clean but 1/3 of the chips from the machine.
    I built a down draft box out of 2X6's and a 3/4" plywood base. I attached the CW on to the top of this. I used a 4" line to the side of the base. I also added a second 2" line to the exhaust port of the motor and tied this into my dust collection system as well. this stops all that really fine dust escaping though the cloth bag originally provided. I get very little dust escaping and most everything remains clean while the system is running. I get some sawdust collecting on the shelf below the clear lexan cover but beyond this all is well. I use a Powermatic PM1300 as my collector.

Good Luck
    Thomas

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast