Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Software 1.611 Breaking bits

Default solution number one

Quote Originally Posted by atauer View Post
    Guys,

This bug has been reported and a fix is in the works. We hope to have a fix released sometime before the end of the week.
    I think the first solution to this problem would/should be to remove the LHR link to the update.

Step number two, should be for the "Fix" to be "tested" by a control group that checks all the features and the problems that have been reported to date.

Only then, should the new release be linked.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

I didn't mean that they are different machines. I meant that I am glad I bought a used one for less than half the price of a new one.

I love the concept of this machine but with all the problems that I see people having, I almost don't want to use it. But not guts, no glory.

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    I think the first solution to this problem would/should be to remove the LHR link to the update.

Step number two, should be for the "Fix" to be "tested" by a control group that checks all the features and the problems that have been reported to date.

Only then, should the new release be linked.
    AskBud
    You would think that since the founder's have a NASA engineering background they would have a much better handle on testing procedures. I would think they would have a test script written for all new releases that exercise all main functions of the software.. and have the expected results documented before a board is even loaded in to a machine. Then run the test and resolve any differences between the expected behavior and the actual behavior. I'm not expecting the software to be bullet proof but will all the things that seem to slip through it not hard to wonder if any testing is done at all?

I'm not complaining... just expressing an opinion.

Doug Fletcher
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 03-03-2010 at 07:37 PM.

I'll not jump to any conclusions... but I will say one thing. I am appreciative that the software updates are free. Many similar software updates for other companies in the same family (CNC carving) charge a significant fee for updates.

I do however wish the quality control was a bit higher "out of the gate" with LHR, but I also understand that it is things like "customer beta testing" that keeps the price of this groundbreaking type of "casual-user CNC" material so cheaply priced (and I know it wasn't cheap... but compared to others it is cheap indeed)

This being said, it doesn't sound like a bad plan to use some of the more experienced users here as "beta testers"-- sending them the software and a set of bits with instructions would help alleviate some problems. If bits break, you report it and then LHR sends you new ones for testing. If perm. damage is caused by the product, the company takes care of the malfunction. Other companies do a similar thing and it works out for everyone-- the company gets cheap beta testing, the person doing the testing gets free bits and runs "real world" programs, and the end consumer gets a better product which causes less customer relation problems.

Just a thought-- trying to make things better for all of us,
    Lawrence

As one of the origonal Beta testers, I can say it did work like that in the beginning. Now it seems the software has become so complex that it takes a while for some of the little 'bugs' to manifest.
    I put a caution on the other 1.161 thread & closed it so the caution would stay at the top.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

6. Default

I tried running a project today that I *think* the software bugs got to it.

I am running two copies of the same object on a single board with a single MPC, the second one is just a copy of the first. They include lettering.

The first letters carved great, then the machine advanced to carve the second lettering, the first two letters carved fine then the rest of the letters carved on top of each other with the machine actually carving the letters starting from the letters right edge instead of left so it pulled the wood back into the machine as it carved instead of pushing it out, the letters are not mirrored, just carved starting from the wrong edge so they overlap.

Then it started to cut out the piece, each pass went a different length so it eventually finished the cut without tabs since the last pass put them in a different place than the previous passes. Then it pulled the board in to cut out the first pattern and went all the way past the board sensor, sat there a minute with the bit in the air running then creeped far enough to cause the roller to drop causing a board removal error. Tomorrow I will go back to the old software and try again. Late for work so have to post images tomorrow

Hi Guys,

finally, I have decided to downgrade to previous version 1.153.

I discovered that the motor spin too fast and the piece don't feed fast enough so I get the wood burned.

Also, I'm routing a square groove with the Classical 1/2 bits and the deep is not constant (supposed to be at 1/. After checking my board et perfectly square...

I think the that the 1.161 is not top notch yet!!!!
    Francois
    Beautiful Laurentians, Québec, Canada

Designer V1.161

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Bennett View Post
    I tried running a project today that I *think* the software bugs got to it.

I am running two copies of the same object on a single board with a single MPC, the second one is just a copy of the first. They include lettering.

The first letters carved great, then the machine advanced to carve the second lettering, the first two letters carved fine then the rest of the letters carved on top of each other with the machine actually carving the letters starting from the letters right edge instead of left so it pulled the wood back into the machine as it carved instead of pushing it out, the letters are not mirrored, just carved starting from the wrong edge so they overlap.

Then it started to cut out the piece, each pass went a different length so it eventually finished the cut without tabs since the last pass put them in a different place than the previous passes. Then it pulled the board in to cut out the first pattern and went all the way past the board sensor, sat there a minute with the bit in the air running then creeped far enough to cause the roller to drop causing a board removal error. Tomorrow I will go back to the old software and try again. Late for work so have to post images tomorrow

This problem looks more like a X Brass Roller Tracking Problem.... Same with the Duplicate Project board too....

Once the Brass Roller Skipp's the whole project is SCRAP..... USE masking tape to make a Rack and Pinion between the board and the brass roller...

And do all the head pressure checks, In Feed, Out feed Table level, Board not missing wood at the bottom where the brass roller hits....

Before blaming the software be sure it is not pilot error.... Yes, it could be the software but in "this" case it is looking more like a X Tracking Error...

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fardoche View Post
    Hi Guys,

finally, I have decided to downgrade to previous version 1.153.

I discovered that the motor spin too fast and the piece don't feed fast enough so I get the wood burned.

Also, I'm routing a square groove with the Classical 1/2 bits and the deep is not constant (supposed to be at 1/. After checking my board et perfectly square...

I think the that the 1.161 is not top notch yet!!!!
    I was thinking mine was doing just the oppisite. The bit was spinning too slow and the machine was feeding too fast thus burning the wood. Either way it freaked me out because I had not seen it smoke that much since I used lighter to clean the saw dust out of the machine.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    This problem looks more like a X Brass Roller Tracking Problem.... Same with the Duplicate Project board too....

Once the Brass Roller Skipp's the whole project is SCRAP..... USE masking tape to make a Rack and Pinion between the board and the brass roller...

And do all the head pressure checks, In Feed, Out feed Table level, Board not missing wood at the bottom where the brass roller hits....

Before blaming the software be sure it is not pilot error.... Yes, it could be the software but in "this" case it is looking more like a X Tracking Error...

Good Luck,

AL
    While I could see the different lengths being a brass roller error I don't think thats the case here. I did use tape and the tracks look consistent along the edge and would a brass roller problem cause the board to feed backward?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast