Thread: X Axis stall 289

1. Default X Axis stall 289

Haven't seen a 289 stall thread (sigh)

Setting up a project and when it went to measure the board length it moves a small distance and stops, since it moves I don't think its the gear but havent opened it yet to try to look at them. If I push the front belt by hand the back belt also moves. Head pressure is 75 lbs.

The sandpaper belts don't appear to be rolled under but the bck one IS nearer to the keypad than it used to be. DO you all think the belts could be cauing the problem and what would cause the belts to move to the keypad side? I check the head pressure before every carve and haven't had a problem with pressure

Edit: Ok, answered this one by playing around. A 289 error can be caused by something jamming the roller, in this case the edge of the sandpaper belt had started to separate along the seam and was catching on the plate by the brass roller. In the process of trying to see exactly what was happening the belt started to catch and tear jamming the rollers. I tired tearing off a strip as was mentioned in other posts to make a temporary fix until I can get new belts but they just keep on catching so I am down until new belts can be ordered. Still don't know why with the head pressure being monitored the belts moved over so would appreciate other ideas in that department so I know what else to watch for.
    Last edited by Gerald Bennett; 02-28-2010 at 12:38 PM.

I have also had belts koving sideways all of a sudden...

The belt rollers can be adjusted to some extent, which may help.

I believe the belts can also move due to things like uneven roller pressure (e.g. caused by slight warping of the piece of wood). Please correct me, anybody, if I'm wrong.
    Located at a nice spot in Europe...
    Current machines:
    • model A, QC, firmware 1.188, sandpaper belts, "brainless"
    • model A, Carvetight, rubber belts, A907, illuminated display from soigeneris (Jeff Birt)
    • 2 x model C, Carvetight, still in box

Software: Designer 3.106, Designer 1.188, Centerline, Conforming vectors, STL importer, Scanning probe, Blender (to create depth maps )

Default Belts

Quote Originally Posted by mister_zed View Post
    I have also had belts koving sideways all of a sudden...

The belt rollers can be adjusted to some extent, which may help.

I believe the belts can also move due to things like uneven roller pressure (e.g. caused by slight warping of the piece of wood). Please correct me, anybody, if I'm wrong.
    You are correct.
    There are, also, other things that could cause the belt to shift.
    1) Long boards, with no external roller support (beyond the machine). Without them, you accent any defect in the board.
    2) Dirt under Belt.
    AskBud
    Last edited by AskBud; 03-04-2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: wording error
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

In my opinon 3 things cause the forward belt to creep toward the keypad and roll under....

1. Boards placed in the machine at a SLIGHT Angle.

2. Too tight head pressure so the belt is pressed so hard on the paper tray that it stretches.... Since we do boards up to 11.25 most of the time... The stress is not equal and the bit flag end does not get stretched as much... So we end up with a Funnel shaped belt that migrates toward the keypad and rolls under....

3. I think as the sand paper belts age and break down and get broke in... Like a pair of Leather gloves.... They expand.... to a cone shape and roll under.... I get about 9 months out of a set of belts.... could be more...

That is my 3 cents....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Default Belts

Gerald,

Take the belt off and turn it around so you can use it until your new ones arrive.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi