Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is STL Importer the Proper Tool to Carve This Piece?

Quote Originally Posted by DocWheeler View Post
    I have just spent several days trying to clean up my shop. In the process I ran across quite a few pieces of wood that were shaped like that.
    Send me the sizes that you are after and I'll check my inventory!
    That's very kind of you but I'm really trying very hard to find out whether STL Importer will allow me to carve these from my 3DS models.

Does anyone have the answer? I don't want to spend $300 to find out I've selected the wrong tool.

Default What Size?

What is the final output size of this piece supposed to be?

Quote Originally Posted by 5twenty View Post
    That's very kind of you but I'm really trying very hard to find out whether STL Importer will allow me to carve these from my 3DS models.

Does anyone have the answer? I don't want to spend $300 to find out I've selected the wrong tool.
    Hello,

The STL Importer allows you to create slices of your STL models and save each slice as a CarveWright pattern (PTN). You carve each one with your machine and glue them together to yield a fully 3D model (or 2½D depending upon the model). If your model is no thicker than 0.8", then there is probably no need to slice it into sections, but of course you can still import the STL and save it as a PTN for the CarveWright.

You might want to view the four demo videos to see an overview of the process. Here's the link:
    http://www.carvewright.com/cms/STLimporter

Here's a link to a tennis shoe STL model that was imported and carved:
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ighlight=shoes
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 02-18-2010 at 12:37 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Default ther STL kicks some..

Is that a yes? BTW, LG, I'm trying to do what you do, only with drums.
    Ya! it works no slicing necessary import the STL model then scale it to the world size and your golden..

Remember the CW will only carve .80: thick so you will need to make sure you have the depth you need.

Here is a part off R3 that I carved using the STL inporter..

Shows the wireframe out of Lightwave.

the part out of the unit.

LG
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 02-18-2010 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks, everyone. I've imported my first 3D model and I'm going to try carving in the morning,

Thanks again.

Is that a yes? BTW, LG, I'm trying to do what you do, only with drums.
    I'm trying to do drum shells as well. I would have cut some out already if I wasn't in the process of moving. I modeled a snare in SolidWorks and imported it with the STL importer. If the model is .75" or less (i.e. slice it first) you don't have to do any slices and you mark it as a 2-sided carve and it will make 2 patterns.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12