Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem Not Piercing

Question Problem Not Piercing

I'm a new user with the STL importer. Machine is not cutting all the way through in places. In designer the back side of the board is pierced except for the manually placed tabs. The machine does pierce all the way through in some places (adjacent to where the tabs are located) and there is a 1/2'' circle in center of carve that it is removing entirely as it should. Rest of perimeter needs to cut about 1/16th inch deeper. Any suggestions for what I'm doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by edva53 View Post
    I'm a new user with the STL importer. Machine is not cutting all the way through in places. In designer the back side of the board is pierced except for the manually placed tabs. The machine does pierce all the way through in some places (adjacent to where the tabs are located) and there is a 1/2'' circle in center of carve that it is removing entirely as it should. Rest of perimeter needs to cut about 1/16th inch deeper. Any suggestions for what I'm doing wrong?
    It would be helpful if you posted a screen shot or the mpc file itself so that we could help to troubleshoot it but the first time I did one, I forgot to draw a carve region around the multiple slices and make that pierce. Hope that makes sense, it is in the stl manual. I also see you are in Mechanicsville, VA and I am in Glen Allen, VA "just down the road a piece." Glad to know a fellow carver is nearby.
    Cheers,
    Bill Brooks
    Henrico , VA
    Printer, Zymurgist, Carvehead
    Machine One - Version B, Carvetight upgrade and a Ringneck Blues Dust collector www.ringneckblues.com
    Machine Two - 5th Anniversary Version C, Rubber Belts and a Ringneck Blues Blues Dust collector

I would double check your board for cupping. If your board is not perfectly flat you could see what you are describing.

also run a depth calibration..

LG

Default Solution found

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried all of them. Depth calibration helped but didn"t solve the problem totally. Saw a post on another topic that gave me an idea of something to try. I had bit optimization set for best. When I changed bit optimization to none it pierced all the way through.

Default Fellow Carver in Richmond area

To BBrooks: Glad to know there is another local carver to compare notes with.

Happy Carving
    Edva53

Quote Originally Posted by edva53 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Tried all of them. Depth calibration helped but didn"t solve the problem totally. Saw a post on another topic that gave me an idea of something to try. I had bit optimization set for best. When I changed bit optimization to none it pierced all the way through.
    I been meaning to report this as a bug or just something LHR could need to look into..

LG

Default i dont think it is

a bug. its just the way bit optimizing works. i think it is trying to get the best carve taking into account the 7 degrees of the bit. thats why it didnt go all the way through the bit probably would have caught part of the taller wood beside the peirceing.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMCOSBY View Post
    a bug. its just the way bit optimizing works. i think it is trying to get the best carve taking into account the 7 degrees of the bit. thats why it didnt go all the way through the bit probably would have caught part of the taller wood beside the piercing.
    yes i not saying its is one, however it not working right with the pierced options so its a software design issue.

LG

RMarkey is offline Firmware Lord, Web Guru, IT King, Raccoon Catcher, Cable-repairer, Bucket Dumper, Undisputed Thumbs-Down Champion

Default things to try

Make sure you define a region around your project that gives you plenty of room for your 'bit optimization' effect. You said the 1/2" center was fine, so 1/4" around all edges should work for you.

For example, the 3 pictures below are all pierced, but the last two should be very successful.

The first is the object, pierced.
    The second is the object with a circle region around it, both pierced.
    The third is the object with the circle region, feathered to 1/8", flip feather on, both pierced, 1/8" round tabs added.

Also, when you perform the depth calibration, you can round up to the next 1/256" (+ 0.004"). This helps account for possible rounding from translating numbers on the keypad to machine units.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bs1.jpg   bs2.jpg   bs3.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast