Thread: Coatrack

1. Default Coatrack

We needed a coatrack but I didn't want to make a plain looking coatrack so here is my version of a coatrack with pictures

The project consists of 2 boards with the same outline and the hinge sockets cut on the Carvewright as well so everything would line up. I put the company name on the inside board where it would be hidden normally. The boards are hinged to allow the pictures to be changed easily.

So here I could use an opinion, I used regular door hinges for strength and to keep the screws away from the edges, I had planned to use a piano hinge but was concerned with the screws being that close to the edge since I can't predict how heavy of coats people might put on this, can anyone think of a better hinge option? Of course some people would probably remove the back board and mount just the front board directly to the wall but then have to dismount it to change pictures and thats the second thing I would like an opinion on, should it have been done as two hinged pieces or just the front piece when this becomes a sale item for me?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails coatrack-1.gif   coatrack-2.gif  

Default Coat rack with pictures

Gerald,

Interesting idea that set me thinking. I'm a pretty big fan of piano hinges, but you are right about where the attachment/strength is.

I would be concerned about the board splitting at the picture cut-outs if all the support was at the top. So - I thought of dowel pins in the back piece (near the coat-hooks) that did not come through the front, and then thought of putting tee nuts on the back piece and using one machine screw through a couple of the hangers for the needed strength. A little more difficult to change photos, but stronger.

Just thinking out loud.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Default Coatrack

Gerald,

Nice project, thanks for sharing.

Just a suggestion; I would make it with a single board and put two key hole slots in the back for hanging. That would allow easy removal to change pictures, save on wood and you would not have to see or deal with hinges.
    B Lantz

4. Default

Hadn't thought of keyhole slots, that would certainly save on wood and carve time since it would be a single MPC instead of 2 like it is now. I put guideholes in the backpiece for mounting points as to get 4 5 X 7 pictures in it is fairly long, also wanted the length to have enough space between coat hooks.

The only concern I would have with using keyhole slots if is someone wanted to mount this where the studs are not 16" on center they might have a hard time mounting it securely to support the weight of coats where as with just a back board they can put the screws to mount it wherever they want. I've included the two MPC files if someone wants a closer look.
    Attached Files Attached Files