Thread: Buy CarveWright machine?

jeffmorris Guest

Default Buy CarveWright machine?

While searching the Internet for computer-controlled tools, I found out that there is a new machine called CarveWright. I'm thinking of buying the machine to create model cars and other projects. One problem: $2000 plus shipping and sales tax for the machine. Other machines like ShopBot cost more money. I have some arthritis and cerebral palsy. I'm not sure if there are cheaper machines. I have Wishblade personal media cutter. My computers are on the second floor of my house and my workshop is in the garage below the first floor of my house. I can't go up and down the stairs well.

Jeff,

Like everything in this world, "should you" is a very subjective situation. Having said that, I'd recommend downloading, installing on your computer, then playing with the Designer software to see how it works for you. There is quite a learning curve to the program, but it's sure not insurmountable and you'll find the machine is by far better than CNC routers costing for more money, and with it's built in computer and cutter moter, is far more automatic than others. AND, you can't beat the help and great company attitude that goes with your purchase (I'm just another customer, bye the way). Spend your time upstairs on the computer designing your parts (that's what I do), then when done, that's when you go down and put the machine to work in your shop. After you get used to it, you can set it to work, then go back to other work, or go back upstairs and design some more for when that work is done.

Bob Hill
    Tampa Florida

jeffmorris Guest

I downloaded the software and tried it out. I tried to create a picture frame from one piece of wood board using the software but I didn't know how to have the machine rout the inside and outside edges of the picture frame after cutting out the center part. Will there be next version of the software that imports CAD drawings? The Cherry Tree store has plans for wooden models of cars, trucks, buses, trains, and construction equipment that I want to create.

Jeff,

After you have established your board size, use the rectangle tool to make a path where you wish the "border" of the piece to be. Useing the pointer tool, knowing what your board shape dimensions are (if you have forgotten, Edit, Board Settings will give it to you, or even allow you to change them), click on one of the blue dimension numbers and change them to your exact needs. You can put the numbers in decimally or you can put it into fractions (Designer will automatically convert it to decimal for you). But this will give you the dimensions of the rectangle, not how far from the edge.

If you wish to make this border according to how close you wish it to be from the edge of your board, then click the "Attach tool" (left side tools and one with the +L icon) and click the center yellow dot of the path line and it'll attach to the closest (in this case). It'll be a yellow line and number. If you wish to change the dimension, click the number and write in the dimension you wish to use (decimal or fraction.)

You have now positioned the rectangle and to give it a cutting pattern with depth of base inside, with the path selected (white), click the top icon that shows a rectangle with a sharp border (tagged as the Carve Region tool).

Up at the top status bar, note that you have dimensions for the depth and length and width sizes. Just select (drag across) any number you wish to change and write in what you'd like (decimal or fraction). You now have your internal carving background. When you add a Favorite/Text/Pattern of your making or choice, it'll start from the TOP surface of your board and be on top of that background, unless you use other tools to change it, or wish to make the cutting depth different than the border is. Rotate tool or View/Isometric view will give you a look at your construction.To get it back to working view, click F view icon.

Now if you wish to Rout an edge to the outside of your work board, unselect everything and click on Tools/Edge Route and from the options choose the routing tool which suits your needs or likes. Once again Rotate or Isometric view to see how your work looks.

Others may have another way to do this also. You'll find a lot of help here from other owners/users and, of course, from the very friendly help from LHR staff. The whole bunch gets a very large thumbs up.

Bob Hill
    Tampa Florida